Apple Watch questions!!!!

Options
I need advice from anyone who actively uses their Apple Watch! I am considering investing in one! I currently have a polar FT60 hrm with chest strap, a fitbit flex and a normal watch and fed up with having to keep changing devices!!!!

I jog, I walk, I go to fitness classes (Zumba, Body pump, spin ect). I use Map my run. And I like something on my wrist that looks nice!!!!!

So could the apple watch replace my three devices??

When I run and walk I realise that I would need my iphone with me in order to track the gps ect - but frankly as a women I don't go anywhere without my phone so that isn't an issue and I like Map my run!!

It is more for when I am in the studio doing my classes. How accurate is the hrm in the apple watch? Will it track my workout so that I can upload it to mfp at a later date? Will it track my hr and calories without my phone being in the studio? How detailed is the hr info?

From and aesthetic point of view - can you change the straps? Say I buy the white strap version - can I buy a blue strap at a later date to swap it?

So in essence can the Apple watch replace all three or am i going to be disappointed? (If anyone wants to chip in and recommend something else please feel free!!! Open to suggestions!!)

TIA

x

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wait for the next release. It will be thinner and the glitches will be worked out. Also, there are third party straps - I like the mesh one, but I want a black one they have on Amazon. I'm going to get the sports band.

I'm usually an early adopter, but this one needs some changes. It's an expensive purchase not to be waterproof. My $79 polar hrm is waterproof.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch - I've only had it for a couple of weeks but it definitely needs the Bluetooth hrm strap. That's next on my list.

I had a Fitbit flex for about a year but I found it overestimated my tdee so I stopped wearing it. I also had a polar FT4 which I loved but I got annoyed with having multiple devices.

That being said I use my Apple Watch primarily not as a fitness tracker. I do like the fact that there are activity notifications an alerts when I'm not moving enough
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Jacqueline - What glitches are there? Libby - why do you need a bluetooth chest strap (which I have!) Is it for more accuracy (I find my bluetooth chest strap to be useless tbh!!) Thanks both
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Jacqueline - What glitches are there? Libby - why do you need a bluetooth chest strap (which I have!) Is it for more accuracy (I find my bluetooth chest strap to be useless tbh!!) Thanks both

Cause the built in hrm is awful. It's totally useless while exercising.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've had my Apple Watch since May and I really love it. I actually find the HRM to be fairly accurate, so I'm assuming the calorie burn is accurate as well. The more you use it, the more accurate it gets because it gets to know your body. I use mine for all exercise I do. I mostly run, but I also use a stationary bike and do some group fitness classes (crossfit and TRX).

While I wish it had a weight lifting setting, I find the "Other" works fine (there is a fitness app on the watch that you start when you start a workout - you pick what kind of workout you're doing. "Other" is a generic workout to use when there isn't an option for the workout you are doing, but they have 9 other workouts to choose from).

I have it all set up to automatically sync to MFP so I don't have to go into MFP later and manually add it all. My watch replaced my fitbit. You can purchase new straps, if you want to change the look. I have the pink sport and have not bought a new band, but my husband bought the watch with the nicer band and bought a sport band separately for when he works out. Switching the band is super simple, so you can change up your look easily enough. I bought my Apple Watch for the fitness tracking abilities, and I have not been disappointed. I do wish it would sync directly with more apps (I also use Map my Run and it does not sync with that so I end up using MPR and my Watch at the same time). I have heard that Apple is working on the watch syncing with more 3rd party apps in the near future.

Since the Apple Watch2 is scheduled to be released later this year, I'd probably wait and buy that one.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Apple Watch since June...primarily for fitness tracking. Prior to that I used a Fitbit Charge HR and prior to the Charge HR used a Polar with a HR strap.

My experience with the HR monitor that is built-in has been good. I have not had issues, as mentioned above, with it being "bad" or being inaccurate. In fact, I find it much better than the Charge HR in this respect. It is not nearly as "liberal" with the number of steps that you take as the Fitbit was (which is probably a good thing). The exercise tracking has worked for me perfectly (I run, do HIIT, bike, strength train and partake in the occasional class). It is able to log all of these without issue. For me, it worked as a replacement to my multiple devices and I love it.

My only complaints are that you STILL have to take your phone with you when you run, I miss the community that surrounded Fitbit (challenges and such) and I have yet to find "apps" that I like on it.

All-in-all I have found it to be a good purchase, however, at this point, I would indeed wait for the next version to come out as I am sure some of my complaints will be resolved and without a doubt new functions will be included.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to wait, the rumor is the Apple Watch 2 will be announced soon which will drop the pric of the first gen and also rumor is that the new watch will have GPS in watch so you could go for a run and leave your phone at home.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have the Apple Watch as well as the polar HRM with chest strap. I use both when I run or Crossfit but I never know if the recorded calories are taken from the Polar HRM or the watch. I wholeheartedly trust my HRM so I'd like to compare the 2 for accuracy. Has anyone else had this situation?