Trouble with walking

Options
Guys. Need support/ encouragement :(

I have scheduled myself to walk 3.5 miles every day at 8:30 am. It shouldn't be a big deal, right? I have my regular route and my fanny pack etc....

About 15 minutes before I need to leave the house, I start thinking of all sorts of things that piss me off and then I get upset and I don't want to walk.

This has happened for several days in a row now.

Replies

• k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try using the things that "piss you off" to motivate you for a power walk. Walking is just putting one foot in front of the other. Slow or fast it doesn't matter, what matters is that you get out and walk.

I like to vary my routes too, variety is nice.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to suck it up and do it anyway. I mean, you can sit at home and be pissed off or you can walk around the block and be pissed off. At least if you do the latter you are doing something productive.

What is making you so angry, anyway? Are you mad about stuff related to the walk or are you just sitting there thinking "I can't believe they discontinued swirly Lifesaver lollipops in 2009 and I'm just finding out now"?
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What is making you so angry, anyway? Are you mad about stuff related to the walk or are you just sitting there thinking "I can't believe they discontinued swirly Lifesaver lollipops in 2009 and I'm just finding out now"?

My mom and sisters. They are crazy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »

My mom and sisters. They are crazy.

Lol. I getcha. Go on a walk and work out your frustration. Then you'll be a bit less mad because you'll be less likely to think "if they didn't drive me so crazy I would have taken a walk."
  • larali1980
    Options
    True, lol
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I actually like walking when I'm angry. It helps burn off the excess energy I get from the anger and calms me somewhat. You might try using the walk. Start off the walk by just saying you are going to get out of the house and burn off your anger walking. Then maybe part way through you will find yourself calming down and can finish the walk for exercise and enjoyment.

Other than that, I think you will just have to force yourself to go.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My mind always feels more clear after I exercise. Plus, they are already making you angry, are you going to let them not take care of yourself too? Your choice of course. :) Good luck.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to suck it up and do it anyway. I mean, you can sit at home and be pissed off or you can walk around the block and be pissed off. At least if you do the latter you are doing something productive.

This pretty much sums it up.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Your mom and sisters are irrelevant - this is you sabotaging you. Why are you doing that? Are you afraid of failing? Are you afraid of change? Are you uncertain if this is the right thing for you? Just feeling anxious over the whole process?

Figure out what the real root issue is, then face it, and move forward.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go for a walk when I'm angry. Then, I get distracted by something I see on the walk, and usually it is enough to make me smile and forget whatever is annoying me.

Alternatively, you are subconsciously using the excuse of being pissed off not to go for a walk. Whichever is the case, go for the walk anyway.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i walk or run when people annoy me. I get away from them and have a chance to find quiet in my mind after all the grumping
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    walking some days gets me out of the angry at my family mode so don't let it be your excuse not to go.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I also use walking as my go-to method of stress relief. I don't force myself to walk, I've come to really enjoy taking a walk because it's fresh air, stretching my legs, and it's a way to clear my head.
  • BillyBoy56
    BillyBoy56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend you don't over-analyze or over-think this. As others have said exercise is the best stress-reducer out there. Think of your walk as meditation time - your one time of the day when family, work, money and all the rest of it it doesn't matter one bit. It's just you and your body feeling good.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    try listening to audiobooks or music while you walk. that'll stop your mind from thinking about real-life.
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jbizvy0n6p25.png
    Free therapy, get out there and walk it off!
  • larali1980
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I ended up exercising after all :D And I feel much better... interesting
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Awesome! See? You did great! Continue that! Keep walking and feeling better after, do what makes you feel good.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I "walk off" so much shyt. Daily on my lunch break. I ALWAYS feel better after I walk. It's like that some days you gotta make yourself go.

The only workouts you regret are the ones you didn't do.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You'll find that doctors will recommend exercise to people suffering from anxiety and/or depression. Helps release some stuff your brain likes (I can't recall what it's called, sorry).

Also, be careful about the people around you if you're working hard to lose weight. Not everyone is supportive. A lot of times, it's the people close to you that tear you down the most.