help me become gluten free

Options
As if watching what I eat wasn't hard enough, my husband just found out he needs to become gluten free. I know I can buy the few items in the store that have the gluten free symbol but I would love some low calorie meal ideas/recipes.

Replies

• kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Can I ask why he needs to become gluten free? Depending on the reason you may have you worry about cross contamination which is a real pain. It means separate toasters, utensils and pans for cooking everything. And eating out is an extreme pain because of it. This is the case for most people with celiac disease and some with IBS.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    As if watching what I eat wasn't hard enough, my husband just found out he needs to become gluten free. I know I can buy the few items in the store that have the gluten free symbol but I would love some low calorie meal ideas/recipes.

Just make stuff that doesn't involve bread. Chicken & vegetables, TexMex with corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas, curries, chana masala, etc. I'll have GF bread on burger night, and GF pasta occasionally; other than that, I don't eat GF substitutes that frequently.
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    They make rice noodles, corn tortilla's, gluten free bread (Costco has some tasty GF bread), lots of stuff. It can be hidden everywhere though, like Cambells soups for example, or teriyaki sauce, so always read your labels.
    Go with fresh veggies and lean non-breaded meats. I'm gluten free and it's not that bad once you get used to it. I eat a lot of vegetables :) Pinterest has just about 1 zillion gluten free recipes, enjoy!
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    There are a few descent gluten free brands. My favorites are Udi's and Live G free (Aldi brand). Udi's in more expensive, but their bread is the only one I find worth eating. Aldi's brand is cheaper and they have a nice gluten free wrap. It really is better to just eat things that are naturally gluten free rather than substitutes, but it's nice to have the substitute options at times.
  • ikkin32dvs
    ikkin32dvs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and after a brief relapse I am back to eating completely gluten free. It is worth it- and I lost ten pounds doing so. I think the main thing is to not focus so much on replacing all the things he currently eats with a gluten free alternative but just trying to eat what is gluten free naturally. I eat a lot of fresh vegetables, fruit, and meat. I use amino acids instead of soy sauce, use corn tortillas instead of flour, eat lettuce wraps or use GF bread if I really want it, I make a lot of soup, and I will use some GF rice pastas. Like others said- there are lots of recipes online and eating out is really not that bad these days if you plan ahead and go to GF friendy places. Many more restaurants are aware of the needs now- I have a Thai place that offers gluten free options that I love. I think learning how to read labels will be helpful as well in terms of what to look for and others names for wheat, rye, or barley
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Aldi has a great gluten free line!

The easiest and cheapest way to do it is to make a list of meals you like that are naturally gluten free and cook those.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    xanthan gum and gluten free flours

put 1 tsp of former in the latter and make anything you made before

avoid gluten free bread - never found a nice one

gluten free cookies are pretty good though

eat fresh foods

corn pasta sucks
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use starchy vegetables and fruits in place of bread. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, boniatos, chestnuts, bananas, plantains, winter squashes and more. I sometimes also use some non-starchy ones too. Look up some grain-free and paleo recipes. There are so many delicious ones out there to give you ideas that soon a person doesn't even miss wheat.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Favorite bread- Udi's whole grain
    Favorite Pasta- Tinkyada

Celiac.org has good resources. If your husband has celiac you will have to both educate yourselves quite a bit on what foods are safe. Gluten is hidden all over the place but if you get used to reading labels it isn't too bad. Good luck!
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I don't know where you are and what resources you have but where I am we have a gluten free bakery and a co-op that sells the most incredible GF brownies. Do some research on your area and you may find some really great options in your town.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find cooking at home is easy once you have GF staples (soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, uncontaminated butter, nut butter, jam, mayo, etc). If you cook and bake you will soon find good GF recipes and brands. What is more difficult is convenience foods and eating out. A GF pizza from Dominos is not safe for a celiac, taking the bun off of a burger could cause weeks of illness. Fast food is often not an option nor is prepackaged frozen dinners ; eating out is a big risk too.

Stick to naturally GF foods at first. Meat and potatoes, chilli, casseroles,rice and seafood, tacos, etc are all naturally GF. It is mainly the noodle and bread dishes that will need a bigger change. Good luck
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease with severe reactions and it is easier and safer to use the naturally GF foods as others are saying. I don't miss bread or pasta anymore so I don't bother with a GF version.

Depending on how serious your husband's damage is, you may find that the gums (xanthan or guar) commonly used in place of gluten in processed GF foods can also cause a reaction. As well, it's common to see problems with dairy pop up too.

It's a huge learning curve but we all started from the beginning. You'll get a raft of different opinions based on people's personal experiences but that's the nature of celiac disease. B)

I see someone already suggested celiac.org. Celiac.com is also full of information and has message boards that are truly supportive.

Best of luck!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I made the "cauliflower pizza crust" this week, and even my extremely skeptical husband liked it. I'm not going to claim it tasted like pizza dough, but it tasted good and made a platform for the toppings I enjoy on an ordinary pizza. Google "cauliflower pizza crust" and Paula Deen, though I'm sure there are many other recipes out there.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are and what resources you have but where I am we have a gluten free bakery and a co-op that sells the most gluten edible GF brownies. Do some research on your area and you may find some really great options in your town.

I live in Ontario Canada. Unfortunately I am about two hours from Toronto, in a town of 17000. I think I would need to drive into the city to get good selection of gluten free foods.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    You might but I live in a small town in the Appalachian mountains and I have gluten free options.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    Options
    You might but I live in a small town in the Appalachian mountains and I have gluten free options.

Just checked the grocery store and there was one small section for gluten free. Bought a few things to try.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Steak, potato and veggies. That was my staple dinner the months I was gluten free.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kmash32 wrote: »
    Can I ask why he needs to become gluten free? Depending on the reason you may have you worry about cross contamination which is a real pain. It means separate toasters, utensils and pans for cooking everything. And eating out is an extreme pain because of it. This is the case for most people with celiac disease and some with IBS.

Still waiting to see doctor but he has developed dry eye, and fatigue. Then after eating he was getting a blotchy face. After some food trial, it appears gluten/wheat is his issue. He has been off it a week and he feels much better. Going to continue eating this way until his appointment.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are and what resources you have but where I am we have a gluten free bakery and a co-op that sells the most gluten edible GF brownies. Do some research on your area and you may find some really great options in your town.

I live in Ontario Canada. Unfortunately I am about two hours from Toronto, in a town of 17000. I think I would need to drive into the city to get good selection of gluten free foods.

If you have a store that carries Dempster's products, they make a good gluten free bread. It is actually my favourite. It is not frozen, unlike most gluten free breads. I've only tried the white. http://glutenzero.dempsters.ca My second favourite is kinnikinnick, it is usually found in the freezer section.

My favourite pasta is Barilla gluten free rotini (don't like the spaghetti, because I am not a good 'stirrer' so then it clumps). I can get it at pretty much any grocery chain here in Alberta.

In Canada, Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce now has gluten, so I have to bring that in from the States. Watch ingredient lists carefully for hidden wheat or gluten, such as malt barley extract.

For flour, I would suggest staying away from anything with bean flour such as Bob's Red Mill (yuck!) The Robin Hood Gluten Free flour is pretty good. I'm trying Cup For Cup next.

As previously mentioned though, your best bet is to make naturally gluten free meals when possible. It's cheaper, healthier, and safer.