Calories

Options
Should someone as heavy as I am (352 pounds as of today) really be eating as many as 1,960 calories? It seems like a lot of calories. Don't all of the weight loss places limit you to about 1,200 if you want to lose weight?

For the most part I'm pretty well under the limit (with the exception of today), but I'm just wondering if it would be smarter and more conducive to weight loss if I restricted the calorie intake even more than the website recommends?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not if you want to lose weight at a sustainable healthy rate. I adjusted my goal today to increase activity level which puts me back over 2000 calories for a daily goal. I didn't gain the weight eating 2000 calories a day (less than my BMR) but by eating more via mindless snacking on bags of cookies and chips and junk. 2000 is obviously a restriction over what I was consuming before because I am losing weight, and haven't "worked out" specifically in 2.5 months.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    The website will give you proper guidelines for your weight. As the weight comes off, the calorie limit will fall.

I suggest that you aim for 1500-1900 calories a day. Eat healthy foods, and don't eat if you're not hungry (unless you're under 1500 calories for the day)

I believe that MFP is very good about their calorie predictions and you should follow it.

Good luck here, I know you can do it!!!
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I started in January I was at 350, I am now 304. I have been eating anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. It has worked for me so far. 1960 does seem quite high. Hope this helped. Good luck on your Journey.
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    It depends on several things. If you are active, that definitely seems reasonable. I was at 325 several years ago and moderately active and was eating 1800-1900 [on a different program than MFP] and I lost weight between 1-2lbs each week. I am now at 1550 calories at 280lbs [which MFP recommended] and it seems to be working pretty well [although I have to be more careful about eating very well balanced meals otherwise I get overly hungry.] I personally would not recommend as low as 1200 because that is generally considered the minimum to get all the nutrients you need and is pretty extreme.

My current doctor personally likes the approach of approximately the same amount of calories the whole time you lose weight, so you don't have to keep adjusting to fewer and fewer calories but my previous doctor liked the gradual approach. I think it depends on what works for you. You could try the higher amount and see how it does. If you don't lose what you would like after a month, try restricting a bit more.
  • codyraye
    codyraye Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you everyone. The feedback was very helpful. I think I'll stick with it for a while and see how I do. :) If in a few months I don't see the results I'm looking for, I'll lower it.

THanks again!