binging - help? book recs?

Options
I am experiencing a resurgence of an old issue - binge eating. I don't purge, but it's definitely an out of control experience. Any methods? books? ideas?

Replies

• devenwarvel
    devenwarvel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I struggle SO much with binging! I am curious what people will have to say about this. The only way I keep myself slightly on track is to let myself have the weekends. While it may not be ideal for weight loss, if I know that I can eat what I want on the weekend I can get myslef through the week without overindulging....most of the time! During TOM though, I tend to loss control and go for whatever I want to eat! I have been dealing with this majorly this week...not fun.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I found Geneen Roth author of women food and god very good. It was on operas show. I have stop binging completely since reading it. Might be worth checking out.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Ah, the binge, my old nemesis. Every once in awhile it sneaks up on me. Been "fighting" it as long as I have been healthy-ish-er (~6 years) but have never been able to kick random days of major over-indulgence.

Honestly, I am starting to accept that it will happen on occasion, and I just have to be prepared for it and plan around it. The worst thing I did was begin to feel sorry for myself, which leads to emotional eating, and that's when I really tumble...(see recent blog post)

So I guess what I am saying, is learn not to beat yourself up about it, but obviously limit yourself as much as you can..maybe you can beat it completely, and that would be super! I have not had been able to do so, and believe me it sucks to write that because it makes me feel like I am admitting defeat. But I am way better than I used to be, and being healthy the rest of the time is also a major step in a positive direction.
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    Occasionally I also binge- especially after dinner. I usually get this way if I don't eat enough calories during lunch time. Try to eat a bit more calories during the day, this may help.

However, sometimes when I get anxious my feelings trigger a binge.

Any other advice would be great.
  • BeHappyNHealthy
    Options
    I am experiencing a resurgence of an old issue - binge eating. I don't purge, but it's definitely an out of control experience. Any methods? books? ideas?

Try this website...it has modules that you work through to help you with disordered eating of any type. I used it when I was overcoming my battle with anorexia.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=48
  • nennajames
    nennajames Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for just sympathizing! I think maybe it's not such a bad idea to have a day "off" - it takes the pressure off and I think I actually am less likely to binge. That TOM thing is a killer though - what's a girl to do??