Fruit sugars confusion

Options
I want to eat better, but don't like salad an veg, so thought eat fruit as snack, but now my sugar is totalling up to too much each day :/ better off eating choc it seems lol

Help please people x

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Fruits have more calories than veggies. Veggies generally have more vitamins and fiber. I wouldn't specifically worry about sugar (you actually CAN have chocolate if you want, if you stay under your calories and get adequate nutrition elsewhere) but finding some vegetables you like would be good for you. Doesn't have to be salad. What about raw cucumbers, pepers, sugar snap peas, carrots?
  • slheddlesten
    slheddlesten Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im not much of a veggie eater either but i like sliced cucumbers with pepper on them or sugar snap peas, try yellow and green squash chopped together with small tomatoes. its real good.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar, eat 2-3 servings of fruit daily and still lose weight. Sugar does NOT hinder weight loss as long as you're eating in a deficit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You don't like vegetables and you are trying to avoid sugar/carbs. You need to find something for a snack that is not vegetables and does not have carbs... do I understand correctly?

If yes, then have you considered nuts? Cheese?
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Fructose is sugar, glucose is sugar, sucrose is sugar and sugar is a carbohydrate and is, in some amounts, in almost everything you eat. Unless you have some condition where you need to limit sugars or certain types of sugars, don't worry about it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar, eat 2-3 servings of fruit daily and still lose weight. Sugar does NOT hinder weight loss as long as you're eating in a deficit.

This
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on day 19 of Whole 30 and I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day. I've lost 7 1/2 lbs so it doesn't hinder weight loss, as long as you keep it to a reasonable amount and make room for it in your day. I go for strawberries, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries and tangerines most often.

I never grew up with much vegetable beyond green beans, so I've done a lot of experimentation recently and found that I like some veggies raw only, spinach leaves and shredded brussel sprouts are great in a salad to me. But I do not like them cooked. I like salad, but in limited quantity so I don't push myself to exist on salad because I know I won't be happy. I eat them as a side with my protein only. I learned to roast green beans (so good and they reheat well the next day) for a change from steaming them and I like to make a "salad" of cucumbers, shredded carrot and avocado with a bit of balsamic vinegar with salt & pepper as a quick, on the go veggie for dinner or lunches if I'm tired of other veggies. Sometimes I just do a quick saute of snow peas in garlic as my veggie. It doesn't have to be elaborate and usually thats the best way for veggies I've found.

Also, try veggies prepared in other ways than you have tasted them before (ie, grilled if you've only had them steamed, ect) and you might find that a different texture of them works for you. I found that I love grilled or sauteed asperagus this way.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and tend to have quite a bit in a day--frozen fruit and half a banana in a smoothie for breakfast, a pear or apple with my lunch, and some grapes, kiwi, or orange with dinner. I'm always way over my sugar--yet I've still managed to lose 100 pounds.

Don't worry about sugar UNLESS you have diabetes or your doctor has instructed that you must be aware of your sugar. Fruit is good for you!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    If you have diabetes you need to worry about your sugar. If not you don't need to worry about it as long as your stay under your calorie goal. I try not to have too much added sugar since it doesn't fill me up, but i never worry about sugar in fruits.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical condition where you have to limit sugars, such as diabetes, and you're under your calorie goal then you're fine. Granted, you don't want a majority of your calories to be related to sugar because it means you're not probably not getting other nutrients you body needs and your dentist will hate you, but having extra fruit gives you a boost in certain vitiams and is hydrating. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No fruit - no chocolate. Keep carbs below 100/day. Eat some blueberries in place of fruit (1/4 cup/day max).
  • HurriCate
    HurriCate Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found just two to three small/medium servings of fresh fruit daily, no added sweets at all, made my sugar number exceed the limit before I reached my calorie target. On the good advice here, I stopped tracking sugar as I am not diabetic and can safely ignore it in the context of what I eat. I track fibre now, it's much more helpful.
  • ontosinc297
    ontosinc297 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here. I've been trying to cut out sweets and desserts since the holidays and as a result eat WAY more fruit than before in order to satisfy my sweet tooth. I was worried about all the sugar but since I'm still coming in under my max calories for the day I won't sweat it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fruits are really good for you. The sugars in dairy products are another kind of sugar not to worry about. The sugary chocolate is delicious but should be limited more than fruit and dairy, just like our mammas told us ;)

ETA: Oh, fruit juices aren't nearly as good as the whole fruit that way, though. You get the vitamins but don't get the fiber, so count them a bit like a healthy sweetened drink, imho.