What foods make you feel more alive than ever?

Options
I am a very unhealthy eater and I am going to start eating much healthier. I am tired of being tired, lol. I want to feel alive and have energy. I want to be healthy most importantly! So my question is what foods make you feel alive? What foods give you energy? What did you cut out of your diet that truly made you feel different? What foods did you add to your diet that made you feel alive? I feel like crap every single day and I am GOING to change.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothie:

0we472dykg46.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I feel much better eating 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein vs eating more carbs and less protein. I reduced baked goods and increased fruit.

Bread made from flour makes me sleepy, so I use bread made from sprouted grains from brands like Ezekial/Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery - their bread with flax in only 50 calories per slice.

I will occasionally have bread made from flour, but only for dinner.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Baked goods primarily baked sweets I limit the most. Added sugars too.
    My only real sugar intake/sweet fix comes from my Chobani flips.

But really once I quit eating them I don't even want those kinds of foods. Megan, want some cake? A muffin? No thanks!!! O.o

I ate one of my kids' donut holes last week.... Yuck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut anything out. I eat all my normal foods (and some new ones, I like to try everything now) and fit them into my calorie goal.

Foods that make me feel alive? Pizza, fries and cake. :P Also, Sweet potatoes, chili, tacos, most fruits (except melons cause they make me sick).
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    All foods. Without food one would be dead.
  • jsutcliffe364
    jsutcliffe364 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A mix of loads of different fruit and veg makes me feel wonderful. If I have a green smoothie for breakfast, a mixed salad with nuts for lunch and a Buddha bowl or similar vegetable / pulse combination, I feel on top of the world, especially if I've been for a run our long walk too. Definitely feel much more sluggish when I've eaten lots of bread or pasta and haven't had enough of a variety of vitamins. They say to eat the rainbow every day! Also to eat as much raw veg as possible. Good luck! I find that once I have a couple of amazing - energy days, it motivates me to continue eating well.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For me, it's become quality over quantity. I know that I was eating more calories than I needed, and thus, my weight was continuing to rise. The first month or so was a bit shaky, and a little depressing as I came to terms with what a healthy, realistic portion size looked like. Now I look at my calories as a set amount I can draw from throughout the day, much like a bank account. When I think about "spending" my calories, I want the food to be worth it. For example, I have a friend who makes the most amazing baked goods. I would much rather have one of her homemade whoopie pies, than, say, a bag of Doritos. I haven't cut any foods completely out of my diet. I will occasionally indulge in chips if the mood strikes and I have enough calories. Sometimes I will go to Starbucks and have a latte, hold the guilt. I see it as 190 calories well spent.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Foods high in potassium. A banana or a tomato based soup.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I cut out all sodas and energy drinks. Basically all drinks except water. Stopped eating out and if I do it's not often at all. The greasy food makes me feel awful. Started cooking at home a lot more often. I added vegetables with every meal. I eat mushrooms with almost every dinner. I don't get sick anymore even during flu season. My kids will get sick and cough all over me and we share drinks, but I still don't get sick. I could be wrong about why, but I believe it's the vitamin D in the mushrooms.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I started having warm milk with turmeric and honey before bed. It puts me to sleep and I wake refreshed and ready to go. I also try to get 2 to 3 servings of green vegetables a day. But a good night's sleep is probably the most important thing to keeping energy levels up.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Anything spicy. :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    2 things...

1. Quality foods. I'd rather eat less, but it be really, really good. So we buy more expensive butter and spices, better cuts of meat, and the vegetables we love even if they're expensive.

2. Fewer carbs. For me, bread, pasta, potatoes, non-green veggie carbs, are awful. I have trouble digesting them and I just feel blah when eating them. So we cut out 90% of those.

These two things have improved my mood and energy so much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    echmain wrote: »
    All foods. Without food one would be dead.

Pretty much.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Food does not make me feel alive. Living makes me feel alive.

That said coffee and really good chocolate never disappoint.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Foods high in iron and b vitamins like steak
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Food I LOVE makes me feel alive, fruit is generally my go to... Blueberries, large navel oranges, a fresh mango just yum! The sugar will lift you ...but careful of your sugar target!
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Filet Mignon. Best food in the world
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Pizza
    Prime rib
    Macaroni and cheese
    Sushi
    Garlic mashed potatoes