Diet Coke = Water

Options
Wondering if it is possible to count Diet Coke or other diet drinks, tea, etc as a Water??????

Replies

• Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal or fruit teas with no milk or sugar and count them as part of my water intake but i'm afraid you can't count diet coke.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so, simply because water has nothing in it, meaning no calories, no sugar substitutes, or anything else. I am not an expert on this by any means, but I would have to say no. Just my opinion, maybe someone else will give a little more insight.
  • tefii
    tefii Posts: 31
    Options
    Drink tea instead :)
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nope! Nothing with caffiene, that is. You see, caffiene is a dieuretic, which means it makes you pee. So for every cup of coffee, soda (diet or otherwise), tea, ect, you will probably end up peeing out about 2 cups. So it's actually working against you. If you drink only caffeinated beverages, you will eventually dehydrate yourself. Sorry.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    This is a highly debatable topic here on MFP. I say if it isn't packed with calories, sodium or sugar, you should be able to count it as water (I do), but many will tell you otherwise.
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Nope! Nothing with caffiene, that is. You see, caffiene is a dieuretic, which means it makes you pee. So for every cup of coffee, soda (diet or otherwise), tea, ect, you will probably end up peeing out about 2 cups. So it's actually working against you. If you drink only caffeinated beverages, you will eventually dehydrate yourself. Sorry.

^This. It also contains a moderate dose of sodium which works against you. While it isn't the unhealthiest thing you could do, just make sure you're drinking plenty of real water as well.
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    manorexicmarshmallow Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There are a large number of reasons not too, but the main one for me (I drink a lot of diet coke) is this: water fills you up, and helps control your appetite. That's why I drink it and list it in my food journal. Diet Coke has the opposite effect: the artificial sugars actually make you hungry because it signals your body to start expecting and craving something sweet.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a diuretic, so nope.
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    Definitely NOT! It is very high in sodium! WATER is what flushes all the evil things out of our systems - NOTHING replaces the good that water can do for our body.:wink:
  • mom2bambam
    mom2bambam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :( Now I am feeling really guilty about my "one a day Starbuck's Venti Iced Green Tea" habit
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    yes, Count all liquids as water. The point is to drink plenty. And more recent studies show caffeine does not have a significant dehydrating effect. If you drink more simply by making some of your drinks diet coke, or crystal light or coffee, or tea or any liquid, put it down. The only thing I don't list as "water" is beer or wine, becuse I try not to drink too much, but it is liquid.
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Sorry:/
    Diet Coke is one of the worst things you can drink if you are trying to eat healthy or lose weight.
    Check out this article:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

Or just google "diet coke and weight loss"

My solution (because yes, I had to quit diet coke too) is flavored soda water. NOT with any sugar/sweetner in it, just zero calorie sparkling water with natural fruit flavors. Crystal Geyser makes a good one, so does Canada Dry...lots of brands now.
    It gives you the carbonation and flavor without all the nasty chemicals and fake sweeteners.

Good luck!
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If only!!!! :(
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wondering if it is possible to count Diet Coke or other diet drinks, tea, etc as a Water??????

Personally (and this is JUST my spin), I wouldn't count anything with caffeine in it as water, because caffeine acts as a renal stimulant and actually creates a need for MORE water. So I would enter it as something else, a calorie-free snack or somethiing, but I wouldn't enter it as water.

Kris
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't think so.

Water is the healthiest thing you can possibly give your body. Diet coke definitely is not.

I drink my full 64 ounces of water a day, in water. I have FF milk if I have cereal, and a protein shake after a rigourous workout, but I never count those towards my water intake.
  • lisawmyers
    Options
    I asked my doctor this question and she said as long as it doesn't have caffeine you can count it as water. The only thing that Diet/ Caffeine Free Coke has that water doesn't is a small amount of sodium. I think there is actually more sodium in a flavored water. So in my opinion as long as you choose Caffeine Free as well as Diet you CAN count it.
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    You will pee all liquids everntually or your kidneys aren't working. It's just that caffeine may stimulate your system to pee faster. The point is to drink liquids. Liquids are good.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything with caffeine or alcohol because both are diuretics. I will actually drink an extra glass of water for every caffeinated/alcoholic beverage I drink.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Personally (and this is JUST my spin), I wouldn't count anything with caffeine in it as water, because caffeine acts as a renal stimulant and actually creates a need for MORE water. So I would enter it as something else, a calorie-free snack or somethiing, but I wouldn't enter it as water.

Kris

Ah, I should have read ahead :-)

Kris
  • kdudz
    kdudz Posts: 39 Member
    Options

This isn't true. It was once thought that caffeinated beverages would do that but studies have shown that the diuretic effect is much less than originally thought.

If it were true people like my father and my boss would constantly be dehydrated because all they drink are diet soda products. I kid you not.

Carbonated water is the first ingredient in Diet Coke.

I personally don't count my coffee, tea or energy drinks towards water intake. I only count straight up water. But you do receive water from drinking tea, coffee, soda...etc.