Zumba? Good or bad

Options
Ice had the dvds for a few years I enjoy doing Zumba but I have never stuck at it with having a child and I started gym instead but I want to know if anybody has done Zumba and how much weight did you lose? Thanks guys :=

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Zumba must be fun but a calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Zumba will give extra calories for the day but it is all about the deficit.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How can a dance exercise class be good or bad? If you like it, it's good. I have done zumba. I did not lose weight from it. I lost when I started eating at a deficit. A zumba class here or these helped with the deficit, but not much.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Zumba is WAY fun! And it's a great way to get your body moving. It's not a weight loss program, though- It's just dance, fun cardio that gets your heart rate up and builds flexibility. Yes, you'll still need to burn more calories than you consume to lose to weight, but Zumba can be a key part of your fitness. (Just remember that just going to one class a week isn't going to do it- You need to do it a few times a week.)
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In addition to strength training, I also do a zumba class twice a week...it's fun and a good way to get that heart pumping.
  • brittnee914
    brittnee914 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been doing zumba for 6 years. Right after my first son I had lost about 30 pounds. Then quit because I got a job and had a two year old. Then I got a different job went back to zumba lost about 15 pounds. Got pregnant. Waited a year to workout because two kids was alot. I have started back last jan. Git certified to teach it in june and have been teaching since. But yes FOOD is the main point you want to focus on. But zumba will keep you moving and you will have fun and not really realize your getting a good workout :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    This is a Facebook group dedicated to before and after stories of people's body transformations from doing Zumba: https://www.facebook.com/groups/549348598501204/

• katie_winfield93
    katie_winfield93 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I am keeping below 1300 calories I go to the gym but I have put weight on over Christmas so wanted to shift some pound before I start back and see my trainer
  • katie_winfield93
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone I am keeping below 1300 calories I go to the gym but I have put weight on over Christmas so wanted to shift some pound before I start back and see my trainer
    I will be doing Zumba did at home 4-5 times a week for 60 mins a time I also do squats lunges knee touches and ankle touches after I was just hoping that someone had lost weight by using the Zumba as a workout routine

• motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Lost about 20 lbs doing zumba 1 hr a day 2-3 times a week
    Its a lot of fun
  • katie_winfield93
    Options
    Thank you that's great to hear! Prefer positivity that's what I need :))
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Just adding my two cents.

As far as sustainability goes, I can see why people do it. It is fun and invigorating, and in the grand scheme, it's better than doing nothing.
    As far as a workout goes, I think it depends on your instructor/routine. I have seen some of the routines on the informercials, and the people are just going at a rate of a mile-a-minute, which looks awesome.
    I took a class at work that was led by a Zumba certified instructor (I actually laugh that this is a thing, like P90X certified, Insanity certified, etc.....more of a marketing tool, and less of a designation of some form of expertise.......but I digress).
    The class put on by this instructor had a lot of movement, but after I was done, I didn't feel like I had worked out any more than if I had just flailed my arms and legs around for a few minutes at a time, a few times within a 30 minute span. It just didn't feel well planned, as if she was just making it up as we went along.

Fortunately, this class was through my work and was free. If you are going to pay to take a Zumba class, see if you can observe the class before paying. If you are just ordering the DVD's, I assume there's a graduated difficulty scale and a return policy if it's not to your liking.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There's no good or bad, just difference in efficiency if you're looking for a good chunk of caloric deficit from working out. From my experience, the beat and move design for the song makes huge difference in how much calorie you'd like to burn in a 60-min session. I've been to the Zumba class that made me feel like I was doing Muay Thai for the entire 50 min and my heart almost jumped out from my chest, yet some other sessions were like a mixture of beginner Tai-Chi and Salsa (no negative meaning... just much slower & I didn't feel much help from that).
  • bamagirlintn1
    bamagirlintn1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used Zumba as my cardio 3-4 times per week. I have lost 20lbs over the past year...cutting calories in (Myfitness Pal Tracker) and increasing calories out (Zumba). I also weight train because if love lifting. I follow fitnessfooddiva for her workouts.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing Zumba! I've been working out for 2 years now and I've incorporated Zumba into my workout routine you burn a lot of calories and it's fun. If you plan on taking up Zumba and making a part of your workout regimen definitely a couple of times a week will be necessary to see weight loss along with a caloric deficit. Hope this was helpful
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I hated zumba. So for me, I'd say bad. But that doesn't mean you won't like it.
  • katie_winfield93
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's stories :) I do the dvds at home for an hour and put all effort in (sweat buckets
  • katie_winfield93
    Options
    I am starting back at the gym in 2 week just wanted to loose some lb before I see my trainer as I have gained weight over Christmas I do Zumba for an hour a day and have a low care intake so far I have lost 6lb in 2 weeks :)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    All movement is good, just watch calories.
  • lindamkelly2
    lindamkelly2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    In addition to strength training, I also do a zumba class twice a week...it's fun and a good way to get that heart pumping.

I do a zumba class twice a week. It burns loads of calories and is fun to boot. I do not eat back the calories I burn.