Best shoes for walking on a gravel/dirt road

Options
Hey y'all. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on shoes. I live in Texas in a tiny town on a tiny gravel/dirt road. Since I live so far from a gym I just walk on our road right now for exercise. I am finding that the bottoms of my shoes are not the greatest as the gravel and rocks push into the bottom of my feet and hurt. Any suggestions on shoes that will work better for me? Thanks!

Replies

• Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    go get fitted a running store.. they can track your foot pattern and get you fitted for the correct shoe and correct size.. I was wearing shoes 1.5 sizes to small ...
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    light hiking shoes or trail running shoes. Merrell is my favorite brand for those.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have trail running shoes, Adidas right now but have used Nike as well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go to a running store. let them advise you.

trust me, we can all tell you what works for US but that doesnt mean it will work for YOU. it is WELL WORTH the time and investment.
  • AngelMommy13
    AngelMommy13 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    go to a running store. let them advise you.

trust me, we can all tell you what works for US but that doesnt mean it will work for YOU. it is WELL WORTH the time and investment.

That's true. I am going to go after work!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Adidas makes some nice trail runners, all I buy

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I am finding that the bottoms of my shoes are not the greatest as the gravel and rocks push into the bottom of my feet and hurt.

Ordinary skateboard shoes have a firmer bottom and good cushioning. They also don't have a raised heel, unlike most running and hiking shoes. A raised heel prevents a smooth walking gait.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If it's walking, then I like Merrell's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm personally a fan of New Balance. I'm diabetic though, so I'm kind of picky. The runners I have currently keep my feet dry, cushioned, and fit perfect. Well worth the time and money. I also spent the extra for the inserts and they are a dream. Oh, the comfort. So my advice is spend the time and money to get fitted well. If you need inserts for any reason, get them. If the shoe you want has to be back-ordered, do it. Better to wait for something you want than to settle for something you feel meh about.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like Asics gel walking shoes: http://www.zappos.com/asics-gel#!/asics-gel-women-shoes/CK_XAToC1QvAAQHiAgMBGAc.zso?t=asics+gel&

I do all my walking off road and never feel the rocks.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you live anywhere near an REI - it is worth it to go there, especially for shoes. They have a 1 year return policy. You can actually wear the shoes out in the conditions that you are going to be using them and see if they work for you. If they don't work, you can bring them back for a full refund no questions asked. Most shoe stores will not accept returns on shoes you've worn outside.
  • AngelMommy13
    AngelMommy13 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I like Asics gel walking shoes: http://www.zappos.com/asics-gel#!/asics-gel-women-shoes/CK_XAToC1QvAAQHiAgMBGAc.zso?t=asics+gel&

I do all my walking off road and never feel the rocks.

Those are actually the ones that I was looking at online. I am going to go to Academy Sports after work and see if they are there in store as that is the website where I saw them.