What does everyone think about the Dukan diet?

Options
I tried it and i just couldn't hack meat every day for that long with nothing else. It wasn't for me. I bought the book and everything and was psyched to get started, but my body revolted it every step of the way. I do however use the Dukan pancake recipe, which is awesome and full of goodness and fiber. I also add pure oat bran to things to get a kick of fiber. I was allowed onions but no other veggies for as long asi wanted to lose weight and it just wasn't enough. It really doesn't seem healthy how it starts but for maintenance it seems it could be. oh, and i did try the all protein no meat version, but it is VERY limited. Maintaining an all protein diet once a day is doable, but i just couldn't do it every day for 2 plus weeks.

Replies

• justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I lasted 3 days on this diet...I had such severe headaches I just couldn't continue with it. I was bummed too because it really seemed promising.
  • aharmeson
    aharmeson Posts: 55
    Options
    This diet remineded me very much of the south beach diet. The problem with nohting but protein everyday is that it can actually do damage to your body. I know I read an article a while back and it basically said eat what ever you want just in moderation and if you use this site you can eat whatever you want as long as your under your calorie goals. All and All i would have to say ive tried my fair share of diets and nothing works better than simply choosing healthier foods to eat instead of McDonalds or Taco Bell.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    ive never heard of this diet but it sounds awful! i have heard that protein is really good for you, but too much of it can be really bad for you and be bad for your kidney's. this site is much better...no fad diets, just a healthy LIFESTYLE!!!
  • ShrinkingStephanie
    Options
    I tried this. Bought the book etc. I was able to keep it up for about 12-13 days. I lost a lot of weight, 10-11 pounds, but I could not maintain it. My body was craving carbs and absolutely rejecting all the meat. Even in the second phase where you rotate one day protein one day protein veg. I was absolutely cheating on the pure protein days. I needed vegetables! Protein diets absolutely work to take off weight quickly, but when I came off of it, I gained 9 pounds back almost immediately. This to me said that even if I managed to do it for the weeks the program calls for, as soon as I ate carbs again I would gain it all back. I decided I didn't want to go down that road again. My weight loss has slowed since following mfp, but I've also added exercise which Dukan doesn't really call for. I feel altogether healthier and I believe that my weight loss will be sustainable because I'm not feeling deprived.

...just my two cents
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    this site is much better...no fad diets, just a healthy LIFESTYLE!!!

See above, there NO magic solutions, just simple math. Eat more than you burn and gain weight, eat less than you burn and lose weight. Slow and steady while developing good habits to last you a life time instead of three days.