Sedentary Life - HELP!

Options
Hi all, I've had the good fortune (cue sarcasm) of having a bulged disc, resulting in a numb leg (down to and including 3 numb toes). The pain is now tolerable, but the numbness took me from training for my first 10k to a quick halt. My doctor has tried various things, including PT and having me go completely sedentary from Nov 15-Jan 15. With no change, I found out Friday that I will be having surgery in the near future.

My weight has suffered as I've never been this sedentary in my adult life. I am the largest I've ever been (3 lbs shy of when I delivered our son - 7 years ago). Now mind you, I was in need of losing weight anyway, but the last several months haven't helped. I would go a couple of weeks with eating really well, trying to follow the 80/20 rule. At best I would lose a 1/2 pound. I was easily discouraged and would then make poor eating choices. I crave running again, but want to focus on my eating first (since running won't happen for a couple/few months from now).

Any words of wisdom for how I can put a strong focus on my eating while laid up after surgery? I will be off work for 6-8 weeks. I know I can't be active so want to make solid eating choices.

Any advice is appreciated!
Lori

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Recovery is an important part of taking care of your body and eating right is part of that. Make most of your plate be veggies, add a source of protein and fat and have some fruit for dessert. That's what I do. The better (more nutrient dense) you eat, the faster you'll recover, and you'll be up and running again. Look at it as an opportunity for learning, you're training your brain. :smile:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about exercise until after you recover from the surgery! If you try to push things too far, you'll end up making things worse.

If you're concerned about losing weight, focus on just your calories in. You don't need exercise to lose weight, 90% of mine wasn't linked to exercise! Work on lowering your calorie intake as that's something you can do now instead of later. At the very least, you can keep your weight from going up, though if you set MFP to sedentary, it'll give you a goal where you'll lose weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    From me, an even more conservative opinion, perhaps:

I kept losing weight through a surgical recovery last summer (much more minor than yours: laparoscopic gall bladder removal).

In retrospect, I wish I'd gone up in calories for a time after surgery, at or near maintenance, instead of keeping CI at a losing level. I was able to do *some* activity post-surgery though not my usual (so frustrating). But I feel like I paid for the low calories during recovery via a period afterward of becoming easily fatigued, and possibly losing some strength for a time.

I endorse the idea of getting plenty of veggies, ample protein (maybe a bit extra) and working to get the composition of your eating (macros & specific foods) as healthful and satiating as possible right after surgery . . . then, when you're close to getting back to being active, drop the net calories a bit on that new eating routine.

I personally wouldn't do surgical recovery (of any significance) in a deficit again. I certainly wouldn't recommend a substantial deficit.

(Sorry.)
  • LKrebill
    LKrebill Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You all have been so helpful! Great advice! I will do some planning ahead of time (surgery isn't until 2/15) and ensure we have good, healthy foods on hand! Thanks again :smiley:
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have read/heard that, when recovering from a wound of any kind, be it a surgical incision, or just trauma of any kind, one should put weight loss/fitness on the back burner and instead eat to heal (maintenance calories, tons of protein, etc). By the way, my wound care experts also want me sedentary/not even blinking if possible until further notice, so I know that it won't be easy for either of us. I know you just asked for diet tips, but I'd like to share some more general insight: If you're allowed any contact with others (a little bit like me), that can lessen the emotional impact. Are you allowed to read, watch TV or do hand-crafts (knit, crochet, etc.)? In moderation, those activities, as well as my spiritual growth, have quite frankly helped me avoid self-harm (nobody worry, I know that's not an option now.)! Please feel free to send me a FR with a small getting-to-know-you type of message if you need someone to talk to! :smile:
  • LKrebill
    LKrebill Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you, zcb94!