Healthy Eating on a Budget

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Buy ordinary food, in bulk, fresh food in season, frozen off season, generic when equally good as name brand, not more than you need of anything, and eat it up - cheap.
    Buy novelty foods/"health food"/"organic", prepackaged, fresh strawberries in January, always name brand, overdo protein or too low fat, letting fresh food spoil - expensive.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Buy ordinary food, in bulk, fresh food in season, frozen off season, generic when equally good as name brand, not more than you need of anything, and eat it up - cheap.
    Buy novelty foods/"health food"/"organic", prepackaged, fresh strawberries in January, always name brand, overdo protein or too low fat, letting fresh food spoil - expensive.

THIS!! :)
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    These were all helpful. I always thought it was very expesive to eat healthy but honestly, I don't spend more because I eat a smaller amount of food. I also build up the meals accoarding to what's on sale and visit different stores. Eating well on a budget means a lot of creativity.
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I often buy frozen foods. They are healthier than vegetables from a cup, tasty and easy to always have at home.
    I also go the local market with all the stands every week to buy lots of fruits. Sometimes it's 4x as cheap on the market than the price which they have in the supermarket. Or visit a local farmer who sells his stuff. Spares all the costs that the supermarkets add up
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I always make sure there are beans, canned tomatoes, rice, quinoa, tortillas and pasta in the pantry. Along with some seasonings, whether herbs or seasoning packets.
    You can pretty much make anything to go with those or make soups, dips, etc. I do shop weekly but I make sure I'm using my staples too so buying new stuff every week doesn't happen. I tend to get chicken when it is on sale and freeze two breasts together in a ziploc and only thaw when needed. I eat vegetarian several nights a week which cuts down on meat prices :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Eat in season and bulk out meals with potatoes/rice/beans.

Also, get herbs and spices from Asian supermarkets - you can get huge bags for less than half what Schwartz or Oxo would charge.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I didn't change what I eat, I changed where I shop.

Aldi is king. Seriously has cut my grocery bill in half (just like they advertise!)

Yes! I LOVE Aldi! Ours is fantastic, clean, and full of really cost effective organic options. I once did price comparison with a few of our favorite meals (between Aldi, Walmart, and Bi-Lo, which was our local grocery store at the time) and Aldi was lower on EVERY single item by at least 40% and a lot of the items were better quality (meaning, I could pay less there for an organic option than I would pay for conventional at other stores). There are only a handful of items our store doesn't carry.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my bank statement (or whatever you call it) and did some analysing - on an average for the last three months, I've spent the quivalent of $7.39 per day on groceries, including things like tooth paste and shampoo, and one lunch out. I live in Norway, and they keep telling us food is soo expensive here. Right.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Try bulk barn (or whatever is similar) for dry goods, you can buy as much or as little as you need.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    dw920 wrote: »

Aldi is king. Seriously has cut my grocery bill in half (just like they advertise!)

Yes! I LOVE Aldi! Ours is fantastic, clean, and full of really cost effective organic options. I once did price comparison with a few of our favorite meals (between Aldi, Walmart, and Bi-Lo, which was our local grocery store at the time) and Aldi was lower on EVERY single item by at least 40% and a lot of the items were better quality (meaning, I could pay less there for an organic option than I would pay for conventional at other stores). There are only a handful of items our store doesn't carry.

Huh. I just realized that little store I went to once was an Aldi's. Does your have organic or humanely raised meat and dairy, or were you referring to produce? Do they still not take credit cards?
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. Beans and rice. Homemade soups and stews are a great way to eat all your veggies and stretch meats a lot farther. And lots of frozen fruits and veggies!

I have a couple laying hens that forage their own food so are almost free to keep and give me fresh eggs every day but I know this isn't an option for most people.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Chaagy wrote: »
    Look up on YouTube - Brothers Green Eats - and find his series on eating for $3 a day.

Ijust finished watching this series of videos after reading your post! Thank you so much for sharing. I have so many ideas now!

• scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Meal planning ahead of your shop will help. For example, I'll buy a whole chicken and use it in different meals thorough the week. If a meal uses a half a can of something I'll incorporate it in another meal. It irritates me if I waste food. I will make a list and pretty much stick to it.

Look at adding in pasta, rice, beans, lentils, chickpeas into meals to bulk them out.

Make too much and freeze into portions. I'd do this more but I don't have a big enough fridge.

Look at cheaper cuts of meat. See if you can get a better price from a local butcher rather than the supermarket. If there are offers on meats then bulk up and freeze them until you need them. I do occasional buy meat substitute like Quorn but more for ease more than cost savings since I can cook it from frozen.

Frozen veggies are generally cheaper than fresh.

Seasonal fruit and veg will be cheaper then those out of season. Look at local growers. We have a local food assembly and everything is produced local so it's cheaper, fresher and good for the local economy.

Be creative. It's surprising how many meals you can make when you think there is nothing in the house to eat.

Herbs and spices can make good meals great.

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I cut costs by shopping in a produce market that also has a small fresh fish department. The produce is about half the price of the supermarket down the street, and I mostly eat fresh vegetables and fruits anyway. Freshly baked breads and rolls are really inexpensive there, as well as dried lentils and beans. I splurge and buy fresh salmon usually once a week because I love it so much and it's about half price compared to the supermarket.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Buy food in bulk. I can easily get by 7-8 days with about $50. It's the other things that I like but don't really need that add up in my list.... Sparkling water, snacks, etc.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    So, people say that fast food is cheaper than eating healthy. I disagree (in the big picture) but also find that a lot of the meals call for food that can quickly add up at the grocery store. Beef and veggies/fruit skyrocketing right now.
    What sort of things do you do to keep your budget in check when you grocery shop?
    Sister recommended tofu, has any meat-eater opted that route?

I tend to eat more chicken and pork as they are much cheaper than beef. I personally don't care for tofu except for very particular dishes.

In season fruits and veg which means this time of year you're looking at things like root vegetables, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, carrots, etc. Also, frozen vegetables are often cheaper than fresh produce. For fruit in the winter I primarily stick to apples and grapefruit.

Other staples include dried legumes, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, oats, grits, potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs, etc...
  • MsLindaC2015
    MsLindaC2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is what makes me so thankful for my freezer. Best money I ever spent. So I've been able to buy things on sale, use coupons, and go on a day when I get an extra 5% off. But even with that, a little common sense goes a long way. Why splurge on things you don't need or shouldn't eat and then go without the healthier options you'd like to have. I'm still learning this lesson but getting better.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    We don't buy meat (husband doesn't eat it and I just order it occasionally in restaurants) so that cuts a lot out of our grocery budget off the top. We sub with beans, chickpeas, lentils, eggs, etc..and since he will eat fish/seafood we do buy shrimp and fish but it's usually cheaper varieties.

Really I think planning is the #1 thing that helps us. Writing out a detailed list of about 5 different breakfast, lunch, and dinner options (a couple are repeated and we usually dine out 1-2 times on Saturday). Buying ONLY items to fill our menu list, and using up most items we have on hand. We purposely plan a mix of meals so we have easy/quick stuff for busy nights and more time-consuming options for lazier days, and very low cal (tofu veggie stir fry) along with more indulgent meals (Japanese curry and craft beer). This is helpful for us in staying on track with eating at home, and we still don't spend a lot. ALWAYS gotta have a freezer full of bagged frozen vegetables and staple items like rice, pasta, beans, etc. I'm a big fan of buying in bulk on things we truly use a lot of (oatmeal, peanut butter) and just grabbing the regular size for lesser used items (coconut milk). Bulk spices from the ethnic markets are a HUGE money saver.

We have almost zero waste in our household and we eat tons of fruits & vegetables. We are just very conservative in which ones we buy (in season, some for nearly immediate consumption within 48 hrs and then others that will last later into the week). I think that helps more than any coupon clipping ever could. I know my mom (just for example) goes to the grocery store with good intentions sometimes and then by midweek she has nothing that really "works" to make a simple healthy meal and winds up at McDonald's instead, and throwing out several pieces of bad produce. Cleaning out her fridge involves well intentioned frozen chili, casseroles, etc, and expired Lean Cuisines. We never really have anything like that in my house. If something is frozen it's usually thawed and eaten in a couple of weeks' time because we know we would be like "ugh" 3 months down the road and toss it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    dw920 wrote: »

Huh. I just realized that little store I went to once was an Aldi's. Does your have organic or humanely raised meat and dairy, or were you referring to produce? Do they still not take credit cards?

Aldi accepts debit cards & cash - no credit. (Although my son in Richmond, VA said their new Aldi DOES take credit cards.) I don't buy meat, so can't answer that question - but I have found organic eggs from free-range chickens (the eggs cost $3.49, which I consider quite fair, considering similar eggs @ Whole Foods were over $7.)

There is organic produce. There's a whole line of gluten free foods, if that's your thing. Now they're starting to sell meatless options like chickenless patties and tofu, which for me is great. I've had them & they taste delicious.

I could go on and on... I need to be on their payroll as a spokesperson, lol.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Thanks!