Exercise Routine?

Options
How do you all go about planning your exercise routine? I have a gym membership and really only like to use the elliptical machine there. Am I able to do it everyday and still loose weight. Someone told me my body will just get use to it and it wont work. I have been doing it longer and hard levels now that I am doing it a lot. I also do some weights in the weight room. But as far as cardio goes. Is cardio just cardio no matter what you are doing? Should I switch it up?

Replies

• uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good question! I am in the process of trying to put together a varied routine so my body wont get used to the same workout. I have never really followed a plan, but to be effective, I think I need some type of guide. I'd like to see what kind of responses we can get on this topic.
  • AlyssaAmes3
    AlyssaAmes3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I switch up what I do just out of pure boredom. I do exercise dvds because I do not have a gym membership nor could I afford one. I love my dvds though. I also go for walks a lot. Im not sure I believe it 100%. I think if you continue what you are doing your endurance will build up and you will be able (and want to) go for longer periods in order to really work up a sweat. Hope this helps :)
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Im hoping someone from the gym can give me some advice. I am not bored on the elliptical but I just want to do whats going to give my body better results.
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i think you will still lose weight because you are still burning some cals, but its true that your body becomes more efficient at the exercise it is used to. I am also in love with the elliptical but try to limit it to half my work outs. (2 out of 4) After my elliptical I do 20 minutes of strength training. I also take a day to swim laps and do a step aerobics class once a week. As a bonus I love to throw in a heavy walk or 2 and some tennis if i can :o) It also makes working out less boring and I look forward to doing different things and seeing different things in my exercise diary!
  • KChristie976
    Options
    i think you will still lose weight because you are still burning some cals, but its true that your body becomes more efficient at the exercise it is used to. I am also in love with the elliptical but try to limit it to half my work outs. (2 out of 4) After my elliptical I do 20 minutes of strength training. I also take a day to swim laps and do a step aerobics class once a week. As a bonus I love to throw in a heavy walk or 2 and some tennis if i can :o) It also makes working out less boring and I look forward to doing different things and seeing different things in my exercise diary!

Thank you. I may try and take a day to do some swimming. Its just hard for me becuase I really enjoy using it. I have been increasing the time and the resistance that I am using so it is changing some.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy doing it, keep doing it. Don't worry about changing your routine until you reach a plateau, then you might need to start doing something else.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I create my exercise program based on my goals. I ALWAYS have a goal in mind, otherwise I'm just mindlessly working out. The goal can be training for a 5k, an upcoming weekend getaway, or losing body fat %. Of course, if you're not seeing results that's a good reason to switch things up.

I always do cardio 2-3x/week, but the intensity, time and type depend on those goals.
    I change my weight training program contingent upon those goals as well, but I always lift 2-4x/week with an upper/lower split or torso/arms/legs split. The specific exercises, periodization, and number of reps/sets/weight lifted change as well.

I create a program in Excel and update it every few weeks. It seems like a lot of work, but it's exciting for me to have a new workout plan. I <3 strength training :-)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I will always recommend against trying to create your own routine/split, because there are so many variables that it is easy to neglect something or overdo something if you are not experienced. Find programs that are tried and true. The two I have been recommending lately to women are the “New Rules for Lifting” program for strength training and the “Couch to 5K” program for cardio. Focus on the athletic goals of getting stronger and/or running longer/faster and your fat loss will be an added bonus.
  • manezy
    manezy Posts: 8
    Options
    Look into some circut training; also mixed in with some aerobics and cardio.. when you constantly change up the workout routine it doesn't give your body time to get used to any certain routine and will show you great weight lose results... Today i am going to ride the bike for about 30 mins and then do some uphil downhill running on the treadmill ...
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Switch it up!
    Your body will get bored.
    I don't see how you don't get bored with it, too!
    Use the treadmill sometimes, the bike sometimes, if your gym has a crosstrainer, hit that up too.
    The elliptical is awesome, but your body will get used to it.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    you could switch it up but still stay on the elliptical. Like try going faster or adsing resistance levels during your workout. Also, if you crouch down low while you're on the machine, it works the glutes like crazzzzy. I did a 10 minute workout where it was like 30 seconds normal, 10-15 seconds crouched down and I definitely felt that one.
  • KChristie976
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Ill def take it into consideration while Im at the gym. THANK YOU <3