Leslie Sansone

Options
Leslie Sansone walking videos...anyone used them? Recommended or not? X

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but it's been mentioned a lot before. Try searching the forum. :+1:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Absolutely! These videos are great for cardio. Log them as general aerobics. Anything you can do to make yourself move more, and move consistently is a good thing. You can increase (or decrease) the level to meet your needs....it's all about the effort you put into it.

Here's a link to the group - they have monthly challenges if you like that sort of thing.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/335-leslie-sansone-walk-at-home

If Leslie is too chatty for your taste (look for a DVD with a music only option, most Just Walk DVDs) another series to try is Jessica Smith.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCMUGnWVIg
  • HughesC82
    HughesC82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Thank you so much!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, they're great for those starting out and with limitations, but there are also amped up versions for anyone. Search You Tube for her name and try out a few.
  • vivaldilose
    vivaldilose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I second TeaBea's recommendation. I've been using the Leslie Sansone videos for about a year, and find them very helpful in making myself get moving.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up Leslie rocks!

• Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love them! It's a great way to get started.
  • HughesC82
    HughesC82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's brilliant to have some recommendations!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I adore her videos, I have most. Try her out on youtube first then decide :)
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    She gives great workouts, but once I got the routine down, I crank the music cause her voice grates on me a bit :D
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've used a few. I don't like them and they didn't really work for me* but I can see how they would appeal to some people. I mostly used them when I was feeling lazy but wanted to get steps in (my health insurance company reads my Fitbit data and gives me points that I can redeem for gift cards) and/or when I had hurt myself doing something else but wanted to move. If you are just starting out with exercise, or unsure of your balance, or a senior, I can also see them being good.

Please note: The miles are not accurate. Not by a long shot. I got something like 2500 steps as measured by my Fitbit from a supposed 2-mile walk. Using the 10000 steps = 1 mile conversion (I realize it's rough, especially for shorter people like me), that's maybe one and a quarter miles.

*I have a lot of endurance so I just suck it up and do like 75 minutes of high-impact cardio every day. It's the only way I can lose weight and still eat what I consider to be a reasonable amount. I was maintaining/gaining with Sansone-level stuff. But my situation is different from other people's and others may be better able to reduce calorie intake than I am, which would make in-home walking a more viable option for exercise.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I've used a few. I don't like them and they didn't really work for me* but I can see how they would appeal to some people. I mostly used them when I was feeling lazy but wanted to get steps in (my health insurance company reads my Fitbit data and gives me points that I can redeem for gift cards) and/or when I had hurt myself doing something else but wanted to move. If you are just starting out with exercise, or unsure of your balance, or a senior, I can also see them being good.

Please note: The miles are not accurate. Not by a long shot. I got something like 2500 steps as measured by my Fitbit from a supposed 2-mile walk. Using the 10000 steps = 1 mile conversion (I realize it's rough, especially for shorter people like me), that's maybe one and a quarter miles.

*I have a lot of endurance so I just suck it up and do like 75 minutes of high-impact cardio every day. It's the only way I can lose weight and still eat what I consider to be a reasonable amount. I was maintaining/gaining with Sansone-level stuff. But my situation is different from other people's and others may be better able to reduce calorie intake than I am, which would make in-home walking a more viable option for exercise.

Sorry, I don't agree with any of this.

Leslie Sansone's walking workouts got me back into exercising after an injury. I now do them with added weights, resistance bands and jogging. She has strength training programs as well, for upper & lower body and abs. I feel the best I've ever felt and it's a serious workout. I guess if you phone it in just to "get steps" -- well, you reap what you sow. Which is true of any exercise program.

Highly recommend Leslie.

• happyscruffy
    happyscruffy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Huge fan once u get used to the routine u can mute the voice and listen to something else.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Sorry, I don't agree with any of this.

Leslie Sansone's walking workouts got me back into exercising after an injury. I now do them with added weights, resistance bands and jogging. She has strength training programs as well, for upper & lower body and abs. I feel the best I've ever felt and it's a serious workout. I guess if you phone it in just to "get steps" -- well, you reap what you sow. Which is true of any exercise program.

Highly recommend Leslie.

This^

Can a marathoner make these DVDs challenging - probably not. But what video goes from beginner to advanced? I do Leslie videos on a rebounder (I can't do high impact anymore). But this gets me mostly jogging. Anyone can use their arms more, lift their knees higher, add more impact moves....the beauty of no choreography is you can adjust up....or tone it down. I do use other DVDs for strength (Leslie does have a few)....but I like variety.

I don't depend upon exercise to lose weight, it's for fitness. I'm overweight because I stuff my face. My eating habits need to change.

Regarding "too chatty" (ACanadian)......a couple of options. Buy a DVD with a music only option. Most of her Just Walk series have this option. Check specifics: http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/leslie-sansone
    Play a video clips & look at the menu options......

YouTube only gives you a few "freebie" selections. Another option is look for Leslie solo.....like her Exercise TV series (there's a freebie somewhere). When Leslie is by herself she's usually less animated.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    When Leslie is by herself she's usually less animated.

Excellent point. She can definitely get manic w/ a crowd.

However, I like her encouraging chatter. When I was starting out the last thing I needed was some blowhard like Jillian Michaels stomping around. Personal preference. (I also detest Fitness Blender, so make of it what you will.)

• rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "Using the 10000 steps = 1 mile conversion (I realize it's rough, especially for shorter people like me), that's maybe one and a quarter miles."

10,000 = 5 miles.

2,000 to 2,500-ish steps = 1 mile, but it all depends on how long your legs are.

Anyway I love Leslie Sansone.
  • JennK730
    JennK730 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    HughesC82 wrote: »
    Leslie Sansone walking videos...anyone used them? Recommended or not? X

Yes like them alot
  • atrayford2
    atrayford2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Leslie Sansone on mornings when I know I can't get my steps in throughout the day or need to miss my evening workout. When I started out, I lost like 12 pounds with her workouts. Voice can be a bit much but it is a small sacrifice. As for my Fitbit, it is normally pretty spot on with the mile conversion.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like them. You can adjust the level up by jogging the walks or adding weights when you need a challenge. I'm using them to ease back into exercise after a pulled intercostal muscle.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was surprised with how much I liked them! Thought they'd be kind of dated or more for seniors, but I actually really like her workouts. I've used them when I need an at-home workout and want to get my steps up for the day.