I want opinions on laxatives

Options
Are they bad or good?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    In what context? For needing to poo, they're fine. For weight loss? No. That's unhealthy and should never be considered. Laxative abuse is dangerous.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    In what context? For needing to poo, they're fine. For weight loss? No. That's unhealthy and should never be considered. Laxative abuse is dangerous.

THIS...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    They are bad if you don't need them, which is almost everyone all the time. If you are having constipation issues, try upping your fluids, fiber, and healthy fats. If that doesn't work, try a stool softener. If that doesn't work, go with a laxative.

If you are having no issues and you think a laxative will help you lose weight, stay far away. It is temporary and they do more harm than good.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    For occasional relief of constipation, they are fine. Long term use or abuse can lead to a lazy bowel and even faecal incontinence in later life. A GP could advise and prescribe what is the best type for you
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you are constipated, they are ok for occasional use. If you are not constipated, laxative abuse is very very bad and very very silly. As Star said above, lazy bowel is a very real risk.
  • pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well its my diet lol no not for weightloss. My poops seem a lot smelled and they aren't as firm. Not dirrehea but close and it sinks to the bottom
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Using laxatives frequently causes your bowel to not function properly without them. Only use them if you are truly having bowel problems and it is best to talk to your doctor about this. Never use them for weight loss, it is dangerous and is thinking about your body and health in a negative way.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    And you want to take something that makes it more loose??? Why? It sounds like you need more fiber (which both helps with constipation, but also makes your movements more firm and solid.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If your stool is loose you shouldn't be considering laxative use. You should try eating more natural fiber. Laxative use is for constipation.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For weight loss? It's symptomatic of an eating disorder or other issues with food and can cause long-term complications for the rest of your life. It also does not cause any real fat loss, just a fluctuation on the scale while your body is forced to dump water and waste. I don't see any positives here, do you?

Just caught your reply (looks like we cross posted). A laxative will have the opposite effect than you're looking for.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to see your GP and have a quick check up.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    They are bad if you don't need them, which is almost everyone all the time. If you are having constipation issues, try upping your fluids, fiber, and healthy fats. If that doesn't work, try a stool softener. If that doesn't work, go with a laxative.

If you are having no issues and you think a laxative will help you lose weight, stay far away. It is temporary and they do more harm than good.

THIS. So VERY this. Almost anything is better than laxatives, even if you are constipated. Try upping your water content first and foremost, then increase your fiber. If that doesn't work, then either a stool softener or a gentle constipation tea. There is a tea I use once in a blue moon that is extremely gentle - it gets things moving in a normal fashion without any cramping. I can't remember what it's called, but I get it at the organic food store. Laxatives are terrible for your colon and can cause damage if used too much.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options

THIS. So VERY this. Almost anything is better than laxatives, even if you are constipated. Try upping your water content first and foremost, then increase your fiber. If that doesn't work, then either a stool softener or a gentle constipation tea. There is a tea I use once in a blue moon that is extremely gentle - it gets things moving in a normal fashion without any cramping. I can't remember what it's called, but I get it at the organic food store. Laxatives are terrible for your colon and can cause damage if used too much.

Sound advice. :)
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I only use them when I am constipated which isn't very often but they work nicely for that. I certainly wouldn't recommend them for weight loss!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I have found that a couple of servings of either nuts or raw carrots works really well to get things moving.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    poop-infographic-healthworks.png
  • TaylorGrant31
    TaylorGrant31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try MiraLax. It's not a harsh lax. It will help regulate bowl movements. Please don't ever use laxatives as a method of weight loss!! So bad for you. Mira lax is not bad for you, I take a small scoop every day. Or you could try a probiotic! Very good for you