Options
13»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Just bought the ingredients tonight (for tomorrow's dinner). Just need to find hoisin sauce. Unfortunately walmart is the closest thing to me, and their selection blows.

You wrote this five days ago so I figure your hoisin problem is solved one way or the other, but I found this for others who might be looking for a substitute. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/hoisin-sauce-substitute-52415261

Ha, I just went to another store; I love hoisin, and personally there is no substitute ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OK, I actually really truly am making this for dinner tonight, with a side of rice and stirfry vegies.
  • brookej8688
    brookej8688 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OK, I actually really truly am making this for dinner tonight, with a side of rice and stirfry vegies.

Let me know what you think.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Well, I have to say this recipe is terrible. All I wanted was a nice dinner in line with my calorie goal and some left overs for lunch, and those leftovers jumped RIGHT INTO MY MOUTH and now I'm out of calories!! I'm going to have to make it again, just to be sure, though. ;)

Very very nice, will totally make again!
  • Junepal
    Junepal Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Made this last night, nice easy recipe and will be enjoying the leftovers for lunch today!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Well, I have to say this recipe is terrible. All I wanted was a nice dinner in line with my calorie goal and some left overs for lunch, and those leftovers jumped RIGHT INTO MY MOUTH and now I'm out of calories!! I'm going to have to make it again, just to be sure, though. ;)

I'm thinking I'd better use more than a pound of chicken...how's the sauce to chicken ratio? I was thinking 1.5 pounds of chicken and just doubling the sauce to make the math easier.
  • brookej8688
    Options

I am so glad you liked it lol.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

I'm thinking I'd better use more than a pound of chicken...how's the sauce to chicken ratio? I was thinking 1.5 pounds of chicken and just doubling the sauce to make the math easier.

There was certainly plenty of sauce, i had enough to also use to coat the stir fry veggies I made. There would be plenty for 1.5lbs of chicken.
  • auddii
    Options

There was certainly plenty of sauce, i had enough to also use to coat the stir fry veggies I made. There would be plenty for 1.5lbs of chicken.

I used 4.5lbs of chicken, quadrupled the sauce, and added broccoli slaw, bell peppers, onion, and some shredded carrots. Tons of leftovers (yay!) and lots of sauce to go around.
  • 64heyjude
    64heyjude Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow. My favorite meal. Thanks!
  • brookej8688
    Options
    The best part is you can double, triple or how ever many X you want to increase the sauce. It is great the next day, on veggies, little cheese spreads, wheat thins, or even on sandwiches .. I used a grilled chicken and put it on my sandwich as the spread it was great.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I made this for dinner last night. As a sub for the Thai chilies, I just used red pepper flakes. Accidentally added way too much. It's really good, but SO SPICY!! :D
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    Brooke: Thanks for sharing this recipe.

I love to cook and my husband loves Asian food, but I have never made General Tso Chicken because the recipes I have seen are always so many calories. I will love to try this. I always appreciate someone sharing a recipe they have actually tried and love.

I am not familiar with dried thai chilies. Did you use them? Are they in a clear package? Near the spices, or in the produce area?

When I run out I substitute red pepper flakes, found in the dry spice aisle. Tastes similar enough!

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I made this for dinner last night. As a sub for the Thai chilies, I just used red pepper flakes. Accidentally added way too much. It's really good, but SO SPICY!! :D
    aaaand you beat me to it.
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Making this tonight with this cauliflower fried rice -- can't wait!!! http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html

It will be 236 + 112 calories for the entire dinner!
  • auddii
    Options
    Friendly bump. Making a variation of this tonight. I went the lazy route and threw the chicken in the crockpot with soy, ginger, garlic, and a little bit of lime juice.

I'll make the rest of the sauce up and just add the cornstarch to the sauce to thicken instead of tossing the chicken. It'll definitely be different, but I'm hoping it'll turn out tasty.

#lazycookingforever
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You are my hero. This is a keeper for sure.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This sounds right up my alley! Thank you for this