40 looking to lose 40

Options
I'm trying to turn my life and my health around. Went through 2 cancer scares and decided life was too short for "if only"s. So I switched gyms, hired a trainer, then did the craziest thing I'd always wanted to do. Signed up for a spartan race. Now I have 5 months to lose weight and train my body enough to not die during one of the most difficult fitness challenges there is. Yup... I'm crazy... But when it's all over, I can look back and not say "if only" anymore! :p

Replies

• magsama
    magsama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Keep the momentum going :smile:
  • wdoyle196
    wdoyle196 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have my panic moments when I think to myself "what have I done" but I have a great trainer who messages me daily and keeps me up beat. Plus my brother has been seeing a trainer for almost a year now and is doing phenomenally well. It's nice having the regular support. Especially when it's cold outside and all I want to do is huddle under the blankets and eat sweets. :p
  • rhynerl
    rhynerl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you I just went through having breast cancer and my thyroid removed. I feel like I have about 100 pounds to lose I would love to do some type of challenge in the future but not yet. How exciting =) Cancer rots but it is how we move on from it that matters. We cannot let it define us.
  • wdoyle196
    Options
    Exactly. It took having pre-cancerous cells in my uterus to wake me up 5 yrs ago. I was going good for while, but my life changed and things when down hill from there. A few months ago my doctor was worried about a possible tumor on my pancreas and they did another biopsy to make sure the pre-cancer cells didn't come back. All came back negative, but it was then that I realized that I need to stop slacking and take better care of myself.
  • wdoyle196
    Options
    How are you doing with your goals? My trainer says not to get yourself down by looking too much at the big picture, but instead to focus on the same successes that ultimately lead you to your goal.
  • wdoyle196
    Options
    Small or same... Oops
  • wdoyle196
    Options
    Small NOT same... Having auto correct issues. Guess I need to proof read better! :p
  • PatM1952
    PatM1952 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wdoyle196 wrote: »
    How are you doing with your goals? My trainer says not to get yourself down by looking too much at the big picture, but instead to focus on the same successes that ultimately lead you to your goal.

My first short term goal was to lose 5% of my body weight when I started (accomplished :) ). Now I will focus on the next 5%. Then my goal is get into "one der land" and be out of the 200's. Other goals are to do a minimum of 1/2 hour exercise a day (Curves, walking, swimming).
  • wdoyle196
    Options
    Awesome! Sounds like you've been doing really well! I wish I could add swimming to workout program. My gym doesn't offer it though. Keep up the awesome work!

I want to break the 200 mark myself. Losing 40 lbs will put me at 190. I haven't been under 200 in 20 years. I just started working with my trainer yesterday. We started some basic strength exercises, and will be adding cardio to the mix tomorrow. The hardest part for me so far is finding the right food balance. I'm taking meds for my health and although I'm not diabetic, my blood sugar crashed yesterday during training. It was a little embarrassing leaving the gym eating a lollipop from the trainer. Everyone was looking at me like "seriously you're at the gym eating candy" :p
  • wdoyle196
    Options
    My trainer and I decided that I should eat an apple or banana with peanut butter next time an hour before training. We'll see how it goes. :)