Looking for exercise options for physically impaired...

Options
Hi, I'm posting this, hoping someone may have suggestions on what I can do to get physically stronger.

I'm 59 years old and have physical limitations on what/how I can exercise. I have severe back issues that are getting worse. In addition, I have a titanium rod from hip to ankle in one leg, so bending the leg is out. I also have shoulder and wrist problems due to having to use a walker.

Despite all that, I am desperately looking for activities I can do. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• MissWeniki
    MissWeniki Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm sorry to hear about all these limitations but love your attitude to persevere!!

What have the doctors approved for you to work on? I just had a baby and was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis... I am doing PIYO it's easy on my joints!! I love it.

• ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Can you get in water? What about swimming or water aerobics? No impact but great workouts.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Have you considered arm rests for your walker? Google "arm rest for walker", or look on amazon. They should help with your wrist and shoulder problems.

Give chair yoga a try.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Maybe aqua jogging?
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor for a physical therapy referral if you can afford it. The therapist can show you the exercises and give you lists, so you know exactly what you can do without aggravating your current situation. Make sure it's a good PT. not all are created equal!

Swimming also sounds like an excellent exercise as well as walking...if you can.
  • MsLindaC2015
    MsLindaC2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There is a DVD called Silver and Fit that is low impact. I'm sure there are many similar ones out there. Just do a Google search for low impact and see what you get. Even with the low impact you may not be able to do all of it. You just do as much as you can. And the more you do it, the more of it you are able to do. You could probably find something pretty cheap, get used if you need to. Hope this helps.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Physical therapy is vital in your case. Your limitations are very challenging and wide ranging and you have a chronic spinal issue that is deteriorating. A good PT is really your option at this point.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My Dad has had a rod in his leg for over 40 years. He is now 65. In the last few years, he has lost over 50 pounds with just walking and tracking his food in MFP.

I think working with a PT and maybe working in a pool also sound like great ideas!

-Rattie
  • megsmom85
    megsmom85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions... I truly appreciate them.

I did a round of PT last year and have continued to do the exercises I learnt there but have hit a plateau. The doctor has told me do whatever I can within my pain threshold so that's what I do.

I will definitely check out the pool idea and see what DVD's are available.

Thanks, again!