Late night snacking....

Options
I'm doing pretty good at sticking to a healthy diet during the day, but I still have the late night, watching tv snack attacks. Any help or suggestions on how to get rid of this nasty habit? On a good note, I've replaced my usual fair of chips and soda with grapes, cherries, oat bran sesame sticks and water.

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pretty good at sticking to a healthy diet during the day, but I still have the late night, watching tv snack attacks. Any help or suggestions on how to get rid of this nasty habit? On a good note, I've replaced my usual fair of chips and soda with grapes, cherries, oat bran sesame sticks and water.

Save calories for this time.
  • rkteal
    rkteal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Changing to healthy snacks is the right way to go....

Lots of low calorie slightly naughty snacks....Yoplait's Parfaits, 100 calories, jello, popsicles, trying freezing the grapes....yumm

Some nights if you have a good size dinner try to go without the snack, drink water instead....
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Generally I find that people are wanting to snack at night because they have not had enough to eat during the day. Make sure your eating a big breakfast about 300-400 calories same for your lunch and dinner. If your still haveing trouble it may be other things triggering it
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Go to bed with a good book!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I snack a lot, too... but I plan my meals into 4 or 5 groups... so I have 300 calories I can snack away at night and still not meet my calorie "goa." Burning lots of calories in the day helps if you "need" more calories for the day.

Drastic as it was, we got rid of our tv in November... which has helped my snacking. It's hard to snack with a book in the hand... although I still seem to manage when I'm on the computer. lol.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Look over what you are eating the previous meal aka dinner. Try adding in something that is a bit more heavy or filling. I find that when I am not satisfied I like to eat later. And like King said just buff up some calories so you cn enjoy something. Whipped cottage cheese and strawberries with a bit of fat free cool whip does the trick for me. Also put a cap on when you eat, if bed time is 9 then you can just set a time to not eat after 8. This way you can snack but you know that once 8 comes your not eating anymore. You feel a bit better about the things you consume up til that time. I know I do
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    All great advice! Be careful of things like sesame sticks. I love my kids honey wheat pretzels etc, but things like that are usually VERY high in calories...maybe even worse than the chips. HTH!! :-)
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is the trillion dollar question to which NONE of the experts have the true answer. All the explanations given here so far are sheer BS. I can eat 5,000 calories during the day and still crave food in the evening. I have told my doctors and nutritionists this for 20 years and still all I get is a puzzled stupid look on their faces. I think it might have to do with levels of seratonin in the brain, from what I have been able to deduce from a psychologist.

If someone could crack the root cause of this, I think they could eliminate the obesity epidemic in America.
  • pamarnold
    pamarnold Posts: 36
    Options
    I think it's more of a habit then a matter of hunger for me. I even remember clear back to when I was a kid and my dad would make popcorn every single night (in one of those old fashioned popcorn makers that used TONS of oil, complete with salt and butter!) and we would watch tv and munch on the 'corn. Back then, I was 98 lbs. soaking wet... clear up until I had my first baby (at 21). Now if I even LOOK at popcorn or chips my hips grow 4 inches!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try some steamed veggies in a steamer bag, done in minutes, healthy and very few calories.

Broccoli is very filling for me, add a little creole seasoning, yumm!
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Our family ritual started innocently as Saturday "party night". We would each have our own individual bowl of potato chips and a glass of Faygo pop and watch the Saturday night movie on TV. Dad would always reserve the biggest bowl for himself - we called his bowl "Mt. Vesuvious". Well, those Saturday nights turned into a week-night event. After I left home on my own I realized I could not only eat a bowl of chips, I could eat the whole bag!:embarassed:

This is why I am here today, struggling with a food addiction and compulsion. This place offers me hope!:blushing:
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I remember many a night plunked on the couch with a couple cans of Coke, at least one entire sleeve of saltines a butter knife and the tub of margarine, sheesh!