girl Scout Cookies

Options
Why are Girl Scout Cookies sold in January when you are trying to stay on a diet? I just derailed my 3 weeks of starting new. Now I have to start again! Ugh!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Why not just use portion control and enjoy the cookies in moderation?
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like Girl Scouts. Didn't want to penalize them for my gluttony. I gave them $20 as a donation. At least they get to keep it all and I don't get crazy trying not to eat the whole box at once. Maybe in a year I will trust myself to use portion control.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Time to hit the rellies up for a care package of Samoas.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ooh...they would be great crushed up into my greek yogurt. Why do I not know any girl scouts?

I just sent a text asking my mother if she knows any Girl Scouts. I must get some for crumbling too!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    CAKarlos wrote: »
    Why are Girl Scout Cookies sold in January when you are trying to stay on a diet? I just derailed my 3 weeks of starting new. Now I have to start again! Ugh!

I'm still finishing my Christmas cookies. Two a day is all that fits within my allotted carbs, so I've been nursing them for more than a month now. Do the same with your Girl Scout cookies (although I'd only be able to eat a half a cookie - they are much more carb intense than the spritz cookies I make).
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have soooo many christmas cookies left. I have 2-3 a day (depending on what kind they are, for some it is just one) with my tea and it makes me happy :smile: . I just have to portion control it.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You don't have to derail yourself with them, just fit a serving into your calories as you can.

This!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My kid sells them every year and, as her mom, I have to buy some for support! We still have a box or two in the freezer from last year, but we ended up just bringing most to work and leaving them out for coworkers (my husband bought 9 boxes along with my 5!). Nobody in my household NEEDS cookies, but if they wanted 1-2, it would still fit into a healthy diet.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Where can I get my cookies?

Do not derail with them... Although in my "past life" it would take nothing to down the entire box of Thin Mints or at least "one sleeve" at a time.

Get a serving and put the box up, and just think instead of downing the box, you can go back and get some more when you are so inclined!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I wish I could sell them to all of you - she's trying for 1600 boxes this year to earn a laptop. Pretty lofty goal!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ooh...they would be great crushed up into my greek yogurt. Why do I not know any girl scouts?
    Just wait until February for girl to sell them in front of grocery stores.

I plan on buying a box of do si dohs and rah rah raisins... Maybe some hellos if I feel like spending 12 dollars. :p
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a hurdle to derail your progress. Instead, it's a great opportunity for you to train yourself on how to use portion control. Girl Scout cookies aren't "bad"...it's just the approach to eating them that needs improvement. Learn to enjoy them in moderation. :-)

Some Thin Mints crumbled in greek yogurt sounds outstanding! Now I'm going to have to hit up the grocery stores waiting for the Girl Scouts to set up their stand out front.

Best of luck!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I wish I could sell them to all of you - she's trying for 1600 boxes this year to earn a laptop. Pretty lofty goal!

That's a lot of boxes of cookies. Fingers crossed for her! Hope she gets it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Hopefully you have a fitbit/step tracker if you're helping her go door to door! Good luck. I'm usually pretty lazy and just buy them from the local troop at the grocery store.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I ordered extra boxes of Samoas and Thin Mints this year. I'm not even trying to pretend that I'm only going to have one box, and since I actually have cookie parents this year, I can't sneak down to the garage to get more whenever I want. I'm also going to make Thin Mint brownies for our cookie booths to give away as samples.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I haven't ordered any in three years. So i just looked up thin mints...4 cookies for 160 calories? I'm so in this year.

And even if I don't run into any scouts selling at the grocery, I live 10 minutes from the local council office. I might have to pay a visit.