Hello all, my son recently surprised me that I am going to be a Gma this year. I am nervous

Options
I am 39 and feel so very young to be starting this journey. But life brings many packages to us, sometimes expedite service.

So as I am getting accustomed to the idea, I am as well positive to support and love my son, his misses and the little one to come........BUT as well wanna be the best shape of my life for my family and look and feel like the youngest, healthiest beautiful gma I can be.

Help! I scared and nervous.

Been back at the gym and eating right for a 1 weeks now. I must keep my momentum. Remember my goal and love for my family......

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just think how cool a gramma you will be when you can chase the little one around, and taken him/her down the slide at the playground on your lap, and fit on the fun rides!
  • Sassystac76
    Sassystac76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you alatariel75. That is definitely floating on my mind as I am planning my next day, to keep myself on task
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    39 is very young to be a grandmother! It's understandable that you feel weird about it. A lot of my friends are grandparents, and I'm only 36! I don't even have a child yet! For me, the idea just reminds me of my own age and mortality which is what is probably happening to you. We don't think of grandmas as being sexy, youthful and energetic. Perhaps if you try not to think of it as a defining characteristic, and even come up with a fun nickname instead of Grandma or Nanna, like Babi etc, then that might also help? And also focus on yourself and your goals, and the super fun aspects of being a grandparent. Imagine all the babysitting, play dates, fun photos and all those people who will ask you about YOUR child when you're out and about with him/her because they won't believe you could be the grandma! I'm sure by the time the kid shows up, you'll just be overjoyed and won't even think about it any more. Best of luck!
  • _JustNate_
    _JustNate_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    U should really take this app more seriously and stop messing around cause your too young and hot to be a grandma.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Okay, I read that as your son surprising you that you're going to be a GMO this year. For a moment I thought he'd gone full BioShock on you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    A glow-in-the-dark surprise.
  • Sassystac76
    Sassystac76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion of thinking of a more comfortable nick name, other than 'grandma'
    This is why I am seeing how 'G-Ma' feels ☺️ So far I kinda like it. Feels more to my age and young nature.
    I am very excited and scared.
    I am taking this whole process seriously, hence my full intentions to be the best I can offer myself and most importantly my family
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Me too. Only it's my daughter and I'm a few years older (47). It was a big part of my inspiration to finally defeat the fat. I want to be around a long time and healthy for my grandchild.

Congrats!
  • whoffmanz
    whoffmanz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nothing like little ones to motivate us to be our best. Enjoy being a Gma. My daughter just graduated college and has been married a year now so I will not be too surprised to get similar news at any time now. At 45 I am only a few years behind you. Def not old enough to be a Gpa.
  • gettingfitSteph
    gettingfitSteph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have two granddaughters and am 40. Don't be afraid. They are the most wonderful gifts you can receive on this earth besides your children. You got this. :)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Agree with runnermom.