Protein struggles

Options
My macros are set for 40 protein, 30carb, 30 fat ratio, I am eating clean foods and exercising regularly. When I exercise my protein goals go up making it darn near impossible to meet my required protein intake each day. When I search what my carbs are they are things like three satsumas and Kale or the one quarter sweet potatoe but my carbs are still consistently higher than my protein.
Anybody have any thoughts on the high protein snacks and foods to help me reach my protein goals?
Thank you!!

Replies

• bindwado
    bindwado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been using protein powder to make smoothies and even healthy snacks like carrotcake slice. Can be hard to find clean protein powder though, should be 100% whey protein isolate, no sweeteners, chemicals and other crap. I buy mine from here http://www.missfitnesslife.com/superclean-tropicana-mocktail/ there's some good recipes on that website too, you can download top 12 slimming smoothies and snacks for free. I also just found an all natural protein powder at Coles recently for $30 for 500grams. Just check label should be only 1 ingredient.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You have your protein set quite high at 40%. Is there a reason?

MFP sets at 25%p, 25%f, 50%c
    Quite a few people change it to 30%p, 30%f, 40%c. Including me.
    30% gets me in the recommended .65-.85 grams per pound bodyweight range.
    Maybe try working out your requirement using g per lbs instead if percentage.

Cheers, h.
    ETA. it would help if you gave your stats (height, weight, goal weight, weekly goal loss, and calories) and grams of protein a day you are aiming for.
    I see you have just joined welcome.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Protein powder / meat / yoghurt (possibly greek style) / cheese / eggs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lower your protein. Increase carbs and fats and oils.
    Pick meat that has fat so you can get protein and oils.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't chase the protein goal as it rises over the day. Your daily needs are the same - 0.8g protein per lb of your bodyweight. Just hit that. If I was chasing what MFP told me to do via a percentage I'd have to shove down a couple of cows a day.

Don't demonise carbs. It's supposed to be higher than your protein.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    High protein Greek yogurts, quest or combat protein bars, protein shakes.
  • KASbelle
    KASbelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, protein powder, and nuts all have a decent amount of protein.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason your protein is set so high? My husband's on similar but only because he's pre-diabetic and under doctor supervision. He's been using a protein drink our doctor provides to make up the extra protein. Beans, like black beans, etc, are good for boosting protein.
  • JoeyVenter
    JoeyVenter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use - "Future Life - High Protein, 70 g" (21 Protein)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My macros are set for 40 protein, 30carb, 30 fat ratio, I am eating clean foods and exercising regularly. When I exercise my protein goals go up making it darn near impossible to meet my required protein intake each day. When I search what my carbs are they are things like three satsumas and Kale or the one quarter sweet potatoe but my carbs are still consistently higher than my protein.
    Anybody have any thoughts on the high protein snacks and foods to help me reach my protein goals?
    Thank you!!

I would address how I'm looking at my food diary to be honest - what I'd do (did do) was work out minimum macro requirements

for Protein 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight as minimum
    for Fat 0.3-0.4g per lb bodyweight as minimum
    carbs are personal choice

Set percentages to reflect this - or as close as you can get it

Keep your minimum grammes in your head

When MFP adds extra allowance due to exercise take it with a pinch of salt - so long as you've hit your protein and fat minimums you'll be all good .. you can then choose to meet the macros on your food diary or choose not to up to you with an eye on micro-nutrients and happiness

That said Chicken, beef and 0% greek yogurt are mainstays of my proteins
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Protein smoothie:
    One scoop chocolate protein powder
    Half a banana
    40g Oats
    300ml unsweetened Coconut milk
    Spinach
    Kale
    I sometimes add soaked dates, can be a bit sweet with the banana.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Protein smoothie:
    One scoop chocolate protein powder
    Half a banana
    40g Oats
    300ml unsweetened Coconut milk
    Spinach
    Kale
    I sometimes add soaked dates, can be a bit sweet with the banana.

How many calories is that?
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    For a nice combo of fats and protein I like salmon and also turkey burger patties