Fasting

Options
Anyone do it? I read and keep up with Mark's Daily Apple and recently read a story on intermitent fasting that was interesting

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I fast every day, more or less the method lined out on leangains.com.

Awesome for hunger control, IMO.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Used to fast all the time for 3-4 days. Now I never do because I'm fatter than I used to be and I guess my need for more calories per day + my habit of eating more regularly since I am bigger than I was makes it really hard for me to fast so I never seem to be able to do it anymore. Maybe I'll be able to once I lose a little bit more weight.
    But yeah, its hard but you can lose 2-4 pounds the first day, then 1 pound every day after that since you aren't eating anything.
    Avoid green tea. If you're fasting it'll make you throw up.
    Drink some coffee. It'll curb the feeling of being starving.
    Get lots of sleep.
    Brush your teeth a lot and mouthwash a LOT. Your body goes into ketosis burning its fat reserves, and a side effect of this is bad breath for some reason.
    I think its a great way to jumpstart yourself on some weight loss, keep you motivated.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The nurse in me says THIS IS NOT SAFE! The fatty in me and like GIMME SOME OF THIS!
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm interested in it too. I've done it for 18 hours to 24 hours, a couple of times in the past 2 weeks, and I do feel like it's helping me out with not overeating, and hunger control. I'd like to add some friends who are also doing it.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    Int. Fasting works well if you do it on a fixed schedule. Like every week on a saturday or something. It is a MYTH that your body will go into "starvation mode" after one day of fasting. I fast once a week and it reboosts your metabolism and also makes you more sensitive to insulin which helps with weight loss. Fasting allows your body to clean itself out which leads to better health and overall digestion.
  • CronoCX
    CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

I believe this is the article your looking at right? Well honestly I don't believe in fasting what so ever. Reason is I tried it before and make me gain around 7 lbs quickly. Reason I this is for is because of our survival instincts where if we eat less than a 1000 cals a day it kicks in and when we eat something, it stores everything.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    i always fast for the first half of the day after a cheat day :)
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The article referred to eating supper and then not eating again until the same time the next night. Easier to manage hunger that way.

It was basically making the same case as muscle confusion. Just mixing it up a little bit to keep your body on its toes
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options
    This is an article/pod cast about fasting that I found to be really interesting.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/benefits-of-fasting.aspx
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    It is not meant to be done everyday, but skipping a meal on occasion wont kill you. I personally do it when I'm not hungry. I never really force myself to 'starve', but if I am border line hungry-not hungry, I just will skip the meal and wait till the next one when I am hungry. That pretty much is IF (intermittent fasting).

Edit/Added thoughts: The concept is to eat when you are hungry. IF helps you break away from that conventional wisdom shell of 'oh I must have 3 planned meals a day' or 'I can only eat at this time'. If you wake up hungry, eat. If you don't, don't eat until you are hungry. If you want to eat right before bed, go ahead. Ect.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting helps with hunger control, nutrient partitioning and is good for your heart.

http://www.huliq.com/10473/study-mormon-practice-monthly-fasting-benefits-heart-health
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I fast daily using the LeanGains 16/8 approach. Works VERY well for me.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    The article referred to eating supper and then not eating again until the same time the next night. Easier to manage hunger that way.

It was basically making the same case as muscle confusion. Just mixing it up a little bit to keep your body on its toes

I eat at 8pm at night, and then not again until noon the next day. That's only 16 hours. "Starvation mode" after short periods (under four or so days) is nonsense.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do juice fasts once a month or so for 2 days ata time, I love it. I buy real juice made of actual fruit and veggie puree not some sugar ladden crap, I usually lose about 6lbs and gain 2 back.
    I don't really do it for the weight loss though, I have IBS and when I'm backed up it really helps me get back on track.