Lifting Weights and Calories Burned...?

Options
ChestnutChesca
ChestnutChesca Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
When I log my exercise at the gym it only calculates how many calories are burned (estimate) from cardio, so some days where I mainly do strength exercises mfp doesn't log any calories burned even though I KNOW i work the hardest and burn the most on these days...anyone else have the same issue? any ways round this?

xx

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That it may feel hard has very little relationship to the calories burned.... Strength training is actually a very low calorie exercise (sadly!).

Log it under the cardiovascular section as strength training and you will get an approximate estimate.
  • ChestnutChesca
    Options
    thanks x
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    for years I logged my weights sessions as 350 calories and it usually worked out very well in terms of my diary balancing out with my results.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I usually wear a heart rate monitor.
    I log it together with my cardio/warm up.
  • ChestnutChesca
    Options
    thanks for the replies! Im going to keep these in mind!
  • ChestnutChesca
    Options

What Heart rate monitor do you use?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    That it may feel hard has very little relationship to the calories burned.... Strength training is actually a very low calorie exercise (sadly!).

Log it under the cardiovascular section as strength training and you will get an approximate estimate.

Agreed.

There are a lot of variables when estimating cals burned, but for strength training (i.e. lifting weights), 4 cals per minute seems to be a reasonable starting point.
  • ChestnutChesca
    Options
    Thanks!
    Id rather under estimate than over estimate!
    I'll try and track it next time I go to the gym!
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I call my strength training a net-zero when it comes to calories as I usually consume something before I workout and a protein shake after I work out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I call my strength training a net-zero when it comes to calories as I usually consume something before I workout and a protein shake after I work out.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I don't mean to imply good or bad, just different in an interesting way. I never thought about looking at things that way.

:think: :think: :think:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Whatever kind it is it isn't going to give a sensible calorie count estimate if that's what you are looking for.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Whatever kind it is it isn't going to give a sensible calorie count estimate if that's what you are looking for.

This.

For what it's worth I don't log weightlifting.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

You might as well roll a pair of ten sided dice.

HR isn't a meaningful indicator in this case.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I just count it as 1 calorie burn.
  • ChestnutChesca
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

each work out as only 1 calorie burned?!
  • ChestnutChesca
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I don't mean to imply good or bad, just different in an interesting way. I never thought about looking at things that way.

:think: :think: :think:

I like this way of looking at it I always have a protein shake following my workout as well so I think I might keep this in mind and not worry too much about how many calories I have burned! Thanks!
  • Mbodyfit
    Mbodyfit Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Everybody wants Fitness and smartness figure. But he did not know to be fitness process. Diet and exercise are necessary to build up body fitness. Healthy Diet plan and nutrition helped you increase body fitness. Remember do not forget to give doctor advice before diet control and strat exercise.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I use the Jefit app and it tallies up actual lifting time from rest time. I log the actual lifting time into Fitbit dashboard (I have a Flex) & only get a portion of those calories on MFP. So far it's worked very well for me. I lift 4x week and do little cardio (1HIIT/wk & walking between lifting sets).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I've used 4 and 7 but haven't tried one yet. Hmmm....usually when I track lifting I estimate 100 calories. HR and lifting is like a one legged man at a butt kicking contest. You can try it but accuracy will be rare.