Wrists and Forearms for Yoga

Options
I recently restarted Yoga and I know it will take some time to get my strength back to hold myself up in certain positions so yes practice makes perfect.

Can anyone recommend other exercises for strengthening the wrists and forearms? Someone mentioned rice digs but as I don't have like a ton of rice in my house at the moment, I figured I'd ask here to get some ideas.

Thanks in Advance. Still excited that Im on day 14 of Yoga!!! Just can't wait to be able to hold some poses without my wrists getting pissed at me.

Replies

• zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me it's my elbow that bothers me so I just modify. Side plank is really hard on my elbow (and likely your wrists) so just go down onto your elbow and forearm. Most poses can be modified in similar ways. I couldn't do chaturanga for the longest time so I modified by dropping my knees. Now I can do the full pose into updog. Things take time. I can do wheel when my elbow is OK but I just modify to half wheel when it's not, there's no ego in yoga!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Ask the instructor for alternatives with the exercises you struggle so you have something to fall back to when struggling. I would not further stress especially wrists by doing more work if you feel they are already working too hard. And try stretching them before and after workouts.
    Check here: img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/media/medical/hw/h9991357_008.jpg
  • nikkilovessweets
    nikkilovessweets Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good quality mat? I know my instructor uses 2 mats to offer extra cushion for her writs. We both have the manduka mat. Perhaps that would help? Yoga is freakin amazing, so good for you for sticking with it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Make sure your hands are positioned properly. Your forefingers should be pointing straight if I recall correctly. Not having your hands correctly aligned can cause issues with your wrists.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Kellynnjo: it would help if I knew which poses you are feeling discomfort. If it's down dog, put more weight toward your finger tips. This will move your forearms away from the floor and take weight off the wrists. You can fold up an extra sticky mat and place that under just the base of the palms - which is essentially the same thing, getting more weight to the finger side of the hand - but it doesn't build the strength you want.

zenjen: it may be that you are hyperextending your elbow in side plank. Try this: keep your shoulder in external rotation (take the shoulderblade down the back, inner arm toward outer arm) - then move the eye of the elbow toward the thumb side of the hand, but absolutely keep the shoulder rolling back. Hopefully that made some sense.
  • Kellynnjo
    Kellynnjo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips all! I'm still trying to figure out what feels good to me. I'm doing this all at home for now because that's is what my schedule allows. Lots of youtube and googling most of the time for me, so I appreciate the feedback!