Protein?

Options
Good morning ya'll. I am trying to get into a routine and it appears, after doing some calculations, that I'm not getting enough protein. I went shopping for some more protein powder and realized that the protein that I'm using only has like 16g per scoop. I am looking to get something that has more(saw several options), but I am looking for some recommendations. Any help??

Replies

• louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    I use Fitness Guru...one whey isolate....a 50g scoop (made with water) is 104kcals 0 Fat 0 carbs 26g protein 0 sugar
    it's pricey but top of the line stuff
  • buckmaster299
    buckmaster299 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Taste pretty good? LOL.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Good morning ya'll. I am trying to get into a routine and it appears, after doing some calculations, that I'm not getting enough protein. I went shopping for some more protein powder and realized that the protein that I'm using only has like 16g per scoop. I am looking to get something that has more(saw several options), but I am looking for some recommendations. Any help??

There's allot out there, check out bodybuilding.com to check out the different proteins,
    but why not just eat more fish?
  • buckmaster299
    Options
    I wish I could, I'm just not a big fish eater.
  • klopatowski
    klopatowski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've Ben using Optimum Nutrition Platnium Whey & Casein proteins since May and I love them. They taste great, Turbo Chocolate & Chocolate Mint are my favs. You get 30 grams of proteins with only 1-3 grams of carb, and 1-3 grams of sugar. I do a scoop of whey after every workout & 1/2 scoop of casein before bed. I'm just starting to test out Quest protein flavors,about 20 grams of protein but I think sugar is higher.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I use Body Nutrition's Trutein which I find is nearly perfect. I recently tried Quest which had good flavor but I am not sold on texture, it is kind of foamy to me.

Never a big fan of Optimum Nutrition as the flavors just don't taste quite right to me.

Muscle Pharms cookies and cream tastes good but seems watery in almond milk and whole milk. I like thicker drinks.

Fish and chicken and steak are great and I eat as much as I can but aren't always practical depending on where you are when you want some food. Protein bars and drinks are easier for me when I want to eat at work. Greek yogurt is a good idea since it is somewhat portable.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Guru...one whey isolate....a 50g scoop (made with water) is 104kcals 0 Fat 0 carbs 26g protein 0 sugar

What the heck is in your protein powder. At 104 calories, that is 26g of protein x4, but each scoop weighs almost twice as much as if it were just solid protein. So the other 24g of whatever else is in it has zero calories? Something seems really off about that label...
  • buckmaster299
    Options
    I didn't even think about the Greek yogurt. I'll have to try that. I know that food is the best source of protein, but its becoming obvious that I'm still not gettin enough. LOL. Thanks for that information. :)
  • auddii
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    I use Body Nutrition's Trutein which I find is nearly perfect. I recently tried Quest which had good flavor but I am not sold on texture, it is kind of foamy to me.

Never a big fan of Optimum Nutrition as the flavors just don't taste quite right to me.

Muscle Pharms cookies and cream tastes good but seems watery in almond milk and whole milk. I like thicker drinks.

Fish and chicken and steak are great and I eat as much as I can but aren't always practical depending on where you are when you want some food. Protein bars and drinks are easier for me when I want to eat at work. Greek yogurt is a good idea since it is somewhat portable.

I'm currently using Trutein as well, and I love that they mix up really thick. But I don't know if they changed their formulation or not, but it now tastes kind of off.

I'm currently looking around for a new brand, and I tried several others and ended up with a whole bunch of protein I did not like. I did not like optimum nutrition or combat because I found both were watery and did not seem to dissolve all the way.

I would suggest looking for sample sizes because a lot of protein powders are personal preference. Trust me, you don't want to end up with a lot of tubs of protein you can't stand.

I also like incorporating higher protein snacks into my diet (jerky, greek yogurt, etc.) as well as I make meat the focus of most of my meals. I personally use a protein shake because I'm not a big breakfast eater, and I could use the extra protein at breakfast time.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are your friend. Low calorie, high protein deliciousness.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I use this... http://www.gnc.com/GNC-Pro-Performance-AMP-Amplified-Wheybolic-Extreme-60-Original/product.jsp?productId=41785896&cp=3593186.45669936.3593187.45670596.2108294

It's 20g of protein per scoop, serving size is 3 scoops. However, I've heard that your body can only absorb about 26 grams of protein at a time, so I do 1 scoop at a time.
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    It does taste good, It would taste better if it was made with almond milk, but I prefer water as I have it as a post workout boost
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

What the heck is in your protein powder. At 104 calories, that is 26g of protein x4, but each scoop weighs almost twice as much as if it were just solid protein. So the other 24g of whatever else is in it has zero calories? Something seems really off about that label...

http://www.fitnessguru.com/en/one-whey-isolate#milk-chocolate
    link above
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Another vote for Trutein from bodybuilding.com. I have Chocolate PB cup (so good), Pumpkin Pie (really yummy, and great for protein pancakes), Cinnabun (another good one for protein pancakes), and Mocha Caramel (which isn't that great to me). I want to try the Marshmallow PB Cookie next!

v695d4frs88y.jpg

I also eat a lot of Greek yogurt and eggs. I'm not a big fish fan, either. An occasional tuna fish sandwich is the extent of it for me.
  • auddii
    Options

link above

Ah, a scoop is 30g not 50g; that makes much more sense. That is seriously a no frills protein powder, and not in a bad way. Looks like it's pretty much straight protein, which is about as good as you can get (not much in the way of fillers and whatnot).
  • auddii
    Options
    Another vote for Trutein from bodybuilding.com. I have Chocolate PB cup (so good), Pumpkin Pie (really yummy, and great for protein pancakes), Cinnabun (another good one for protein pancakes), and Mocha Caramel (which isn't that great to me). I want to try the Marshmallow PB Cookie next!

I also eat a lot of Greek yogurt and eggs. I'm not a big fish fan, either. An occasional tuna fish sandwich is the extent of it for me.

Marshmallow PB cookie tasted amazing the first time, now it has a sourish taste to it. I might give it a few months and then try again. The chocolate mint tastes like a thin mint at first, but it is so minty! I feel like I've just brushed my teeth by the time I end up finishing my shake. I'm experimenting with using it to make protein "cookie dough", and I'm adding a lot of cocoa to try and balance the mint...
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options

link above

Ah, a scoop is 30g not 50g; that makes much more sense. That is seriously a no frills protein powder, and not in a bad way. Looks like it's pretty much straight protein, which is about as good as you can get (not much in the way of fillers and whatnot).

My bad on the 50g, I wasn't clear!

A PT friend of mine uses them, they have a great range, yes pricey but you get what you pay for
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would recommend BSN Syntha6 since it tastes great and is really good quality. The cheapest place I see it at is:

http://www.nutrahealthsupply.com/BSN_Syntha_6
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The Vitamin Shoppe house brand is decently priced and really close to Optimum Nutritions Gold Whey in protein/carbs/etc.

Also Vitamin shoppe occasion runs online deals on ON Gold whey where you get 8lbs for like $50 which is a heck of a deal.

Those are the only ones I really have experience with but they taste decent, mix decent, and are pretty good value.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another Trutein fan here. I've tried several of the flavors but Chocolate Truffle is my favorite. The Banana Cream is pretty tasty also and the Cinnabun is delicious but a little too sweet to be my "every day" shake. I also like their protein pudding, makes for a great snack when you want something more than a shake.