Sleep difficulty

Options
Hey. I started back in my diet and exercise program 2 weeks ago. Along with getting fit and losing weight, I was in hopes that being healthier would help my sleep. I workout no later than 1 pm. I either find myself not able to get to sleep or stay asleep. Does anyone have any remedies or suggestions that could help?

Replies

• SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cut out most or all added sugar, no caffiene, try to stick to a sleep schedule, and listen to some of the hypnosis/progressive relaxation/meditation videos on YouTube at night. A Benadryl 30 min.before bed might help too. Good luck!
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Whenever I struggle, I take 5HTP, which helps my brain calm down from a busy day.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Try taking GABA 20 mins before bed on an empty stomach. Start with 250 mg, and increase to 500mg if needed. It works very well - I've used it for years.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Benadryl 30 min prior helped me as for OTC. melatonin was not very useful for me. Mine got worse enough to where I saw doctor and got an rx for Ambien high has been my savior ever since lol
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Also could be not eating enough during the day or towards bed time to keep you satiated through night. Try having a cheese stick, greek yogurt, nuts before bed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I haven't slept in 16 yrs ( since I got married ) so I feel your pain op :(

I'd definitely see a doctor about it and get some sleeping pills.

My sleep issue is more of an atmospheric issue. My husband gets up 5858363723+83+3 times per night and eats and cooks and walks around the house . I have my own room now but still hear him. But your issue may be helped very easily with medication.

Heres what my doctor said. It may or may not help you but My doctor says - no screen time for 2 hrs before bed. No phones tablets laptops or anything. Keep the room cool and calm. Get yourself into a night time routine like - bath- brush teeth- read- sleep . and follow your routine every night. Give yourself enough time to sleep, don't go to bed at 2am when you have to be up at 7am .

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    How good is your mattress? How quiet is your bedroom? Is it properly dark? Do you run electronics in the bedroom? These things all have profound effects on the quality of sleep.

I found years ago that I get my best sleep wearing a sleep mask, with room-darkening shades, and earplugs. Some people like soft ambient sound (white noise).

The quality of my sleep improved dramatically this June when I bought a new bed (my old mattress was 10+ years old). I splurged and got a Sleep Number bed, I love it (was a hard call between that & a TempurPedic though). I swear every dollar spent on a good mattress is money well spent. My last mattress (a good quality innerspring) was great for about 8 years, it cost $1200. That came out to $0.27 / night. My new mattress cost about $2800 (egads!) but has a 25 year warranty.. or $0.30 / night. Is a good night's sleep worth 30 cents a night? To me.. absolutely.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Cut out most or all added sugar, no caffiene, ...

This isn't necessary. Although I wouldn't have a cup of coffee right before bed - but that's common sense.

It helps me to read before bed. No screens. You can also do deep breathing exercises once you're in bed. And a dark room is key.

• dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Just saw this the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a shot!
    southideas.net/2016/01/a-magic-sleep-remedy-one-cup-of-this-mixture-and-you-will-fell-asleep-in-less-than-a-minute/
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Do you have any thoughts about what is keeping you awake? Are you worried/excited/emotional about something, or is there something wrong with the conditions in your bedroom, e.g too hot/cold/noisy, uncomfortable bed?

I go through spells of insomnia every now and then - I nod off quite easily but then wake up for long periods during the night. The thing I've generally found most helpful is getting plenty of exercise so that I go to bed feeling physically tired, so that I stay asleep because I'm just exhausted.
  • morlanchaos
    morlanchaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You may consider trying Chamomile tea before bed. It is definitely relaxing to me. I also take Magnesium Oxide each evening, originally for muscle spasms/charlie horses I was having at night. Not only do I no longer have the spasms, but I even sleep better. Good luck!
  • Huge1993
    Huge1993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This may be very irrelevant to you, but:

Put on an episode of 'The Joy of Painting' of Bob Ross on Youtube!

Whenever I am having trouble sleeping, I watch an episode (they uploaded all episodes on Youtube). This guy and the beautiful paintings have a soothing effect on me. Very relaxing. It works for me :wink:
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have this problem too (unrelated to dieting/working out).. lately I've been taking Melatonin an hour before I plan on being in bed (not every night as in the past I found it stops helping) and drinking a cup of Sleepytime tea within the same hour.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I take something that in Canada is called Super Sleep, think it has a different name in the US. I get mine from Costco. Anyway, it is a blend of 1.5 mg melatonin, 15 mg 5-HTP, and 100mg L-Theanine. I take 2 every night. It helps me sleep, and I feel calmer, less anxiety the next day.