Roasted spaghetti squash- what to add?

monahan74
monahan74 Posts: 2 Member
i love spaghetti squash with a little red sauce but what other things can I try to do with it?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    I love it stuffed with enchilada sauce, chicken, peppers and onions and topped with cheese. Also stuffed with peanut sauce and broccoli or stuffed with lasagna filling (bolognese, mozz, ricotta).

This recipe is phenomenal!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    I cook it with onions,mushrooms, garlic, red bell pepper and season with oregano, basil, garlic salt and crushed red pepper. Add a little marinara and some mozzarella and you have a really filling delicious meal,

Also I have a jar of red curry and I put that in with onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes and you could use chickpeas too!
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member
    http://www.thefirstmess.com/2013/03/06/spaghetti-squash-noodle-bowl-lime-peanut-sauce/

This is by far the best spaghetti squash recipe I've had. I modified her sauce recipe by substituting canned coconut milk in place of the whopping 1/2 cup of oil and it turns out great. I've also had success adding chicken and tofu, it is really versatile.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
    http://www.thefirstmess.com/2013/03/06/spaghetti-squash-noodle-bowl-lime-peanut-sauce/

This is by far the best spaghetti squash recipe I've had. I modified her sauce recipe by substituting canned coconut milk in place of the whopping 1/2 cup of oil and it turns out great. I've also had success adding chicken and tofu, it is really versatile.

Love this idea! Going to try this week. Also, a friend makes a really delicious alfredo spaghetti squash but not sure how healthy it is.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    My family loves it with baked potato toppings. We like to top it with nonfat Greek yogurt, lowfat shredded cheese, bacon bits and chives.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I actually really do not like it with marinara or that type of flavoring. It takes to mexican food flavors really well. Or curries as someone else mentioned. It's delicious with the "warmer" spices (not necessarily spicy).
  • jcturbo
    jcturbo Posts: 8 Member
    monahan74 wrote: »
    i love spaghetti squash with a little red sauce but what other things can I try to do with it?

I sautée up some other veggies, onions, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, asparagus and add them inside the shell after you scoop out the spaghetti squash
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    I recently roasted some spagetti squash, pulled out the inners and mixed them with brocolli in a balsamic vinegar reduction and feta cheese, then put the filling back in the boats and baked again for another 10ish minutes, it was amazing! I wish I had a photo for you.
  • sohern
    sohern Posts: 5 Member
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/spaghetti-squash-with-bacon-spinach-and-goat-cheese

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. I sub kale for spinach sometimes, and add chicken to fill it out
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Toss it with olive oil and parmesan
    Add it to a casserole with chicken, broccoli and cheese
    toss with pesto
    Add a little salt and pepper and serve as a side dish
    top it with mushroom gravy
  • Charlotte27981
    Charlotte27981 Posts: 14 Member
    They sound so useful! I wish we could get spaghetti squash in the UK easily.
  • Queenmunchy
    sohern wrote: »
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/spaghetti-squash-with-bacon-spinach-and-goat-cheese

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. I sub kale for spinach sometimes, and add chicken to fill it out

Making this one asap!
  • charliejl
    charliejl Posts: 3 Member
    I eat it just like Spaghetti! Tomato sauce, brocolli, orange bell pepper, a romantic tomato, black ground pepper and brown mushrooms with maybe a bit of hot sauce and Italian spice. It's so delicious!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    OMG I LOVE SPAGHETTI SQUASH.
    My favorite way to have it is with a small amount of butter, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. I usually have it as a side, and it's so filling!
  • prmap
    prmap Posts: 1 Member
    i mix it with a little shredded motzarella and chopped up chicken or pepperoni
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Do you just split it in half and bake it facing down in a glass pan? Do you add any water? I know my mom would roast acorn squash with water in pan facedown, but idk if that's necessary?
  • Queenmunchy
    Do you just split it in half and bake it facing down in a glass pan? Do you add any water? I know my mom would roast acorn squash with water in pan facedown, but idk if that's necessary?

Just a little olive oil, salt and pepper facing down on a baking sheet. No water needed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

I usually nuke it whole, then cut in half and remove the seeds.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    a nice bottle of red? or 2?