How to stay motivated when I'm a new stay at home mom

Options
I am a new stay at home mom and it is getting more and more difficult everyday to look in the mirror and like the new body/shape I have after I had my first son who is now almost 8 months old. I start the day off with positive thinking and usually have a good breakfast but come lunch time I just want to eat junk. I am finding it extremely hard to stay on track and to not root back to my old habits of a slight eating disorder. Mom's out there that may have gone through this do you have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Think about the tattoo you want. Get yourself out of the house - walk, run, etc....use a jogging stroller! Go to the library or the park. Most of all, don't stock your house with the things that will tempt you. That has helped me the most - if it isn't there I won't eat it and most likely won't make a special trip for it.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    pre-plan! Have meals made and ready to eat so you're not searching through the kitchen :)
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I am not a mom and probably will never be one, but my wife is a stay at home mom to a 3yo girl and 9yo boy(during the summer). She has lost 16 pounds in 3 months(Her current weight is 125). She watches her carbs, walks to Leslie Sansone 5 mile DVD 5-6 days a week, and does not eat junk food. She is not meticulous about planning meals, but does watch what she eats. She is not on MFP so she does not track or log calories either. If she wants something bad(like TGIFriday's Brownie Obsession), she knows she has to put the time in for it by walking an extra mile or so.

She usually tries to get up an hour before the 3yo, so she can work out. If that does not work, she breaks it up in small increments fo 15 minutes throughout the day. You can do it, but understand that baby will take some time to get used to your workout schedule. Just don't put yourself on a rigid schedule as to when it has to be done, as that will not work. Just take small bites and it will happen for you.

Good Luck,
    E.
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am also a sahm to a 3 year old. I found it really hard at first staying at home. I was doing ok loosing weight until I quit breastfeeding, but I kept eating and gained more weight than while I was pregnant. It's not easy staying at home in my opinion because the temptation to eat is always there and food is so accessible.

Things I've done to change my habits are: stop buying crappy food. So for me that was like biscuits, crisps, etc. I just don't buy them anymore and if my husband wants them I make him take them to work and leave them there. I snack more on fruit. I quit putting sugar in my coffee. I started doing work out dvd's while my son was taking a nap. Obviously you might not be home all day every day but you should be able to do a work out dvd 4 days a week. If the weather is good take walks with your baby. One of my friends used to say if she really wanted chocolate she would walk with the baby to the shop and buy a tiny bar. That way she got her walk in and got her craving satisfied. Other than that just use your time at home to plan healthy meals. Do your shopping with a list and try to stick to it. I know all this is easier said than done with a young baby, but it can be done. This website is a huge help, and I know it helps keep me on track logging everything Im eating and actually seeing the calorie count rising. Hope some of this helps you, good luck with everything!