How to defeat the after-work snacking rampage!

Options
Hi!
I have been tracking my calories for 15 days now and have seen little movement on the scales. I understand that weight fluctuation, especially in the first few weeks, is normal. I think, however, that I have a few bad habits that may be stalling my progress.
I am 25 years old, 5 ft 2 inches and my current weight is 140lbs (10 stones). My goal weight is 126lbs (9 stones). I try to eat around 1200 cals a day.
During the work day I am very disciplined as I simply do not have the time to snack mindlessly, even at a desk job. I usually have a poached egg with half a mashed avocado on toast or porridge with peanut butter and banana for breakfast. Lunches are usually a jacket potato with salad, a salad, or soup, and maybe a piece of fruit. At lunch times I try to walk for at least 30 minutes, I also walk my dog every day and go to the gym 3-4 times a week.
My problem is, when I get home from work, I raid the kitchen cupboard! I will usually snack on spoonfuls of peanut butter or Ryvita Crispbreads with houmous/tzatziki, which may sound healthy enough, but I am sure it tips me over my calorie limit for the day. I should mention as well that I am eating vegetarian this month and perhaps not getting enough protein, which may be why I feel so hungry after work!
Any help controlling this urge to snack after work would be much appreciated!
Thank you :)

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. Get some protein at lunch. If you weren't a vegetarian last month is there a reason you need to be vegetarian this month? You could add a cheese stick to your lunch. And plan for a snack after work. Use celery and carrots for your hummus (and only do 2 Tbsp or so). Log it. Add an apple or banana and you'll get a little sugar fix with your fiber. Don't try to fight it, adjust your timing a little to cover it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think most of us struggle with night time snacking - definately agree with upping protein/fat that will help you feel fuller.

In the evenings when you want to snack, sip on water/tea/herbal teas - alot of the time its only a notion to us that we want to eat. So its mind over matter :smile:

It takes practice to get out of the mindset of snacking but its doable - it took me months of struggling not to eat at night.

I do always leave enough cals for some sort of snack around 9 though :smile:
  • hellosofie
    hellosofie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try sipping on herbal teas throughout the evenings (I love teas!).

As for eating vegetarian this month, I am doing it with the view of eventually transitioning to a fully veggie diet (or at least pescatarian). It's a sort of trail period I guess haha!
  • bracey100
    bracey100 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try your best not to eat after 7 at night if u gunna snack try having fruit instead of sweets I find.it hard too try your best not to have to many bad things in your cupboards save your treats for weekends but dont go to overboard
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue- would try to eat a snack before my workout as I would stop on the way home and then when I got home would basically shovel food in my face because I was ravenous. I switched to making my snack high protein such as pistachios and/or a cheese stick and that has helped a lot. I also don't keep trigger foods in my house such as potato chips or cookies because it's so easy to lose control.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging those snacks? Peanut butter especially is a calorie killer and even measuring it by spoon can be very off
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    bracey100 wrote: »
    Try your best not to eat after 7 at night if u gunna snack try having fruit instead of sweets I find.it hard too try your best not to have to many bad things in your cupboards save your treats for weekends but dont go to overboard

Ahhh! I'm sorry, please p.u.n.c.t.u.a.t.e.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you are eating 1200 calories, but walking at least an hour - with 30 mins at lunch and dog walks

I assume you are set to sedentary - add calories for your walking and eat them

plan a snack when you get in

I used to eat about 200 calories straight after work - toast, cottage cheese, avocado and tomato generally cos it was a delicious combination

0% greek yogurt at lunch - maybe with berries - for a big protein hit

Ignore any advice about not eating at specific times - makes no difference

eat more
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    For me, having a small snack (an apple, a granola bar, string cheese, or some almonds) before my commute helps me avoid the binge when I arrive home. I also drink copious amounts of green tea to keep me from snacking while I am preparing dinner.
  • hellosofie
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging those snacks? Peanut butter especially is a calorie killer and even measuring it by spoon can be very off

I weigh the peanut butter if I have it my porridge oats for breakfast, but sometimes I literally just scoop out a spoonful and eat it :/ Then I will just estimate (Awful habit, I know)!
  • hellosofie
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you are eating 1200 calories, but walking at least an hour - with 30 mins at lunch and dog walks

I assume you are set to sedentary - add calories for your walking and eat them

plan a snack when you get in

I used to eat about 200 calories straight after work - toast, cottage cheese, avocado and tomato generally cos it was a delicious combination

0% greek yogurt at lunch - maybe with berries - for a big protein hit

Ignore any advice about not eating at specific times - makes no difference

eat more

I think planning my after-work/pre-gym snack is the way to go! That combination does sound delicious!

I set MFP to sedentary as I do work at a desk all day. If I do a particularly big walk with the dog at the weekend (2+ hours) I may let myself eat slightly over 1200. Do you think I should still be allowing myself more?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I completely relate to that hour before dinner and wanting to nosh on everything. It's like I know dinner is coming, but I want food NOW...

So, for me, it's a habit to break. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not worried about my food intake during the day, etc. It's a lazy habit that cranks into overdrive at a particular hour. While I'm working on breaking it, I try to reach for carrot and celery sticks. I want something crunchy and they suffice.

Once I get busy cooking dinner, my mind gets off the "neural track" of wanting to snack. I just have to keep interrupting the habit and/or keep whatever I reach for to eat on the very-low-calorie side, because I love dessert and movie snacks for later in the evening.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I get hungry every day around the same times- a couple of hours before the evening meal and around 9 PM. I just plan a snack or two for late afternoon and evening to accommodate that every day. I usually have about 200 calories left for snacks most days.

Plan some snacks for that time. Eat more protein. Eat more calories at lunch. Eat a portion of your calories earned from exercise.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I pack my lunch, I make sure I leave one low calorie snack in my car. That way, I know that I have something to eat on the way home so I don't arrive home starving and ready to eat anything in sight. Plus, if it's in my car, I'm not tempted to eat it while I'm at work.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I swim or walk in the mornings, and by the time I get home around 11am my tummy is groaning. I have set myself a small routine for entering the house. First click the kettle on, tidy the kitchen or empty the dish washer whilst it boils, then make myself a coffee with sweetener, then take it upstairs and drink it whilst I dry my hair. The coffee for me takes the edge off, and just being in the kitchen when my tummy is groaning is lethal for me. Sorry it's not quite relevant to the initial post, but I think organisation is the key. Good luck. X
  • ilovediatoms
    ilovediatoms Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're not eating enough during the work day, so you get home and you're really hungry, so you eat the closest and fastest thing, which may not be the best option. Lean protein and slow-digesting carbs (like brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc.) will really help keep you full for less calories, and, while chicken breast is my go-to lean protein, you can do this while you're vegetarian. You also really need to be careful to get enough protein and all your amino acids when you're vegetarian! You can do this by eating these foods (they are good sources of complete proteins, i.e., provide all amino acids that humans need):

Beans + rice
    Quinoa
    Eggs + egg whites (eggs are a complete source of protein, but adding egg whites provides extra protein for low calories)

I would also recommend nixing the peanut butter, bananas and avocado...those things are healthy, but pretty high in calories, and even though you may be hitting your calorie goal, you can choose lower calorie foods and eat more and you won't be so hungry. I say this as a 5'1, 120 lb woman, who has successfully lost weight and gained weight (to put on muscle) and am now cutting weight again, so I can really relate. When I'm cutting, I try to avoid peanut butter, nuts and bananas specifically, because they are high in calories for a little amount. I pick lower calorie options for fats and fruits.

If I feel I am hungry or will be hungry between the end of the work day and dinner, I will have a protein shake (protein powder + water). That's another vegetarian option to get some protein.

Feel free to message me or friend me and take a look at my food log, it may help you get an idea of how to eat more for fewer calories! :)

Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    For me, having a small snack (an apple, a granola bar, string cheese, or some almonds) before my commute helps me avoid the binge when I arrive home. I also drink copious amounts of green tea to keep me from snacking while I am preparing dinner.

I also snack before I get home to keep in control. Half a protein bar seems about right.

• cbtebb
    cbtebb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Could have been mentioned but as far as protein for eating vegetarian try quorn, as long as you put loads of seasoning and flavours into it it tastes almost like meat (and have half the calories)
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing because I was so hungry when I got home. I started planning supper ahead, either have something I can quickly reheat or something quick to cook for supper. If I have a little more time I will use the crock pot and have a nice hot meal waiting for me when I get home.