Just registered for my first 5k

Options
I'm not totally new to working out, but I am new to running. Anyone have tips for a new runner? The race is 10/2/11.

I don't think the Couch to 5k program will work for me, since I'll be training outside and don't feel safe using headphones (major city, too many cars). So I'm all ears to hear about any other programs that people liked.

Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why can't you do C2 5K without headphones. You just need a watch to time your intervals.

Good luck in the race
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    the Couch to 5k works on various levels and I do recommend in. If you don't want to put headphones on and listen to the "mp3" guide...then review the schedule before running and just watch the time on a watch or set a timer. The premise of the Couch to 5k is to ease you into running as your body needs to get used to it slowly and also help you not burn out.

Do a google search for beginner's schedule / guide to running and see what other ideas most people have. But most, will probably tell you to do just about the same with the Couch to 5k... Good luck :)
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You can still use the couch to 5k program; I've been a runner in the past as well as run on my school's cross country team. I really like it and it does a nice job for conditioning based on endurance. The main part of the program is basically remembering the intervals. See the workout page here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

As long as you stick to basic interval training, you should do just fine. Other things that I've used and my coach recommends:

Tempo Runs: Here's how to do a tempo run. Begin at an easy pace, about as fast as you would during any warm-up on the track. After 5 or 10 minutes of gentle running, gradually accelerate toward peak speed midway through the workout, holding that peak for 5 or 10 minutes, then gradually decelerate, finishing with 5 minutes of gentle jogging, your cool-down. Run hard, but not too hard. If you do this workout correctly, you should finish refreshed rather than fatigued.

Fartlek: Fartlek is a Swedish word, loosely translated as "speed play." A Fartlek run involves constant changes of pace at different distances. It is entirely intuitive (similar to tempo runs) and is best run on trails in the woods where you have no idea how far you are running. After a period of gentle running at the start, pick up the pace and surge for maybe 10 or 20 or more seconds, then jog for a near equal time until partly recovered, then surge again. These speed bursts could be anywhere from 100 to 400 meters, or longer. They could be up a hill or down a hill or on the flat. They could be at top speed or at the pace you might run a 5,000 meter race or from this tree to that tree. Fartlek teaches you how to surge in the middle of the race to get away from opponents--or hang with them when they attempt to surge on you.

Long Runs: Long runs are necessary to improve your aerobic fitness and endurance. I also don't care how fast or slow you run, as long as you run at a pace that allows you to finish as fast as you start. If your pace lags and you have to walk in the last few miles, you obviously ran the early miles too fast. Run at a conversational pace. If running with your teammates, use this workout as an excuse to talk about every silly thing that happened to you during the week. This is a workout that you can run on the roads or on trails. Mostly, have fun.

Rest/Easy Days: These are the days of the week when you do not run hard. And quite frankly you can't run hard seven days a week without risking injury or over training. So in between the hard workouts, run easy. Rest can be an easy run, or it can be a day when you do not run at all. You need days of comparative rest between the hard workouts; otherwise you will not be able to run those hard workouts at full speed. If you fail to do the hard workouts properly, you will not improve. Don't train hard every day assuming that it will make you a better runner; it may actually affect your training negatively.

Training with a team: If you feel some or all of these workouts might help you as an individual and improve your performances, by all means train as individual. But in general, if you have the opportunity to train with your teammates instead of on your own, go with your teammates

Good luck and before you know it, you'll be a running pro :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did C25k without the podcasts, but I did it on a treadmill so the numbers were right in front of me. Taunting me.

A much more basic method would be to run until you need to walk, then walk until you catch your breath. Repeat for a half hour. :wink:
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of stopwatches that can be set to intervals. I have this one, and like it... http://www.amazon.com/Gymboss-BLACKGB2010-GB2010-BLACK-SOFTCOAT/dp/B0036USWUQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1308252117&sr=8-13
  • leanan21
    leanan21 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the great post, lucky48!

I do feel a little silly now, since it didn't occur to me to just memorize the timing schedule for each run.
    There are a couple of stopwatches that can be set to intervals. I have this one, and like it... http://www.amazon.com/Gymboss-BLACKGB2010-GB2010-BLACK-SOFTCOAT/dp/B0036USWUQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1308252117&sr=8-13

Wow, what a great tool! I'll have to look in to one of those.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Congrats!! Good job for signing up for your first race!! I just completed my first one last saturday!! It was a great experience and I cant wait to do it again!!

The C25K program is just a timed way to begin at 30 sec of running intervals and work up slowly to running 30 or so min at a time. I used it and went through about week 6 and would recommend it. If you do not have or want to use a smartphone or other device to time, you can use the website version to follow the program and use a stop watch or other timer as you run. There are other programs out there that encourage you to run for distance and run further every time.
    You could just pick a route and try to run further and further every time you try it. When I got closer to feeling comfortable with the distance, I mapped out a route on mapmyrun.com that was 3.1 miles. Then I would just run as much as I could and push myself farther each time and watched the time that it took me.
    I think that anything where you are starting off just above your comfort level and increasing slowly each time would be effective.

As for other tips that I would pass along:
    Make sure you have proper running shoes that work for YOUR feet.
    Dont eat too much on the morning of the rece (my side ache almost killed me)
    Have fun and good luck
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Congrats on jumping in! Running is an awesome cardio workout and can be quite fun. You'll meet lots of people on your way and hope you enjoy.

As far as the C25K is concerned its really a program, and not just something to listen to on your IPod. Generally speaking, each week you run more and walk less. It still works without the IPOD... you may just need to have a stop watch to keep an eye on how long you run and how long you walk.

Another option...You could also look into running clinics offered at the local running stores. Almost every running store near me, offers some type of clinic for a nominal fee.

Feel free to add me if you have any questions about running, I don't mind helping out... Running is kind of a passion of mine.

Good Luck!
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Im doing my first 5k in 26 years thsi Saturday, Good luck on you run. think my knee is okay with this, if not I am seeing dr. monday anyway.
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    I just wanted to say You Can Do It! I registered for my first one too! July 9th is my date!
  • leanan21
    leanan21 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips and encouragement, everyone!