Options
Beets beets, the magical fruit
The more you eat the redder you poop!

Found PICKLED BEETS OMG!!!

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Beets are yummy. Just beware if you eat lots of them, the end result is going to look pretty alarming in the bathroom. ;)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This I already know. I'm worried about my self control with pickled beets. Even chocolate doesn't tempt me so bad!
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Beets and goat cheese <3<3<3<3<3
  • laurainottawa
    laurainottawa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Beet and goat cheese salad with pecans
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    Roasted beets....yum!!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I have some pickled beets in my fridge right now! Gonna have to try them with goat cheese :O
    I also like raw beets
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Love them. Some are a bit high in salt/sodium. Not all.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Pickled, roasted, steamed and sliced into a salad...love them! :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I looove pickled beets. I now feel the need to go buy some.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    9r6lxcz7bkz2.jpeg

I'm pickling roasted beets as we speak!!! Fresh picked from my garden.......soooooo yummy!!!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beets, but I didn't realize you could get pickled beets! Can you just buy them at the supermarket?
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    9r6lxcz7bkz2.jpeg

I'm pickling roasted beets as we speak!!! Fresh picked from my garden.......soooooo yummy!!!

I am jealous.
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    I LOVE beets, but I didn't realize you could get pickled beets! Can you just buy them at the supermarket?

I found mine at sobeys. They don't have a huge variety to choose from 2-3 but pickled beats are pickled beats....
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Love pickled eggs in beet juice also.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I only discovered last year how tasty beets are. I love roasted beets. I remember hating pickled beets as a kid. They were mushy and gross, and leaked pink slime all over everything. Blech. Maybe it was the kind we bought? I don't remember a brand, but I do remember them coming in a big white plastic tub (always stained pink on the inside). I may give the pickled version another try at some point, as their roasted kin are delicious!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    This I already know. I'm worried about my self control with pickled beets. Even chocolate doesn't tempt me so bad!

I hear ya! Pickled beets has a been a favorite treat of mine since I was a child.

I recently discovered how delicious beets are raw. Unlike many other vegetables they are sweeter when raw than when cooked. I love to snack on them or put them in salads and slaws.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    PiSquared wrote: »
    I only discovered last year how tasty beets are. I love roasted beets. I remember hating pickled beets as a kid. They were mushy and gross, and leaked pink slime all over everything. Blech. Maybe it was the kind we bought? I don't remember a brand, but I do remember them coming in a big white plastic tub (always stained pink on the inside). I may give the pickled version another try at some point, as their roasted kin are delicious!

Geez, that sounds like your pickled beets had gone bad. :sick: They should not be slimy or mushy or pink. They should be crisp and in a thin watery dark red brine.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I thinly slice and fry in coconut oil or roast with salt or bake as a potato bake alternative, or beetroot and sweet pot burgers are the bomb! !
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Love pickled eggs in beet juice also.

You had me at hello. :D
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pickled beets but try to get the ones done without so much sugar as beets are relatively high in calories to begin with (for as much of them as I am likely to eat LOL!!)

At my grocery we have pickled beets in jars and there are also canned pickled beets and I just pick the lowest calorie per gram ones as there can be a big difference between them.