chicken stock and low-sodium

Options
Now that I have to watch sodium for HBP, the label reading is eye-opening!!

Even the low-sodium stock and even UNSALTED stock has good amounts of sodium. I don't have unsalted chicken stock on hand now to look, but unsalted vegetable stock has 210mg! That's a lot.

So I was thinking that if I make my own chicken stock that might be the solution. But, I'm not so sure. Won't there still be sodium in it from boiling the chicken? How to calculate how much sodium if I create my own food item? Isn't it true that they inject sodium in chickens as a preservative? I was recently browsing packaged chicken breast labels and saw the sodium content varied widely! I was surprised to even see it in the first place! (Target's had one called "just bare" that had the least sodium).

p.s. it's bad enough watching calories and fat, sodium watching slows down grocery shopping to a crawl. It is amazing where it sneaks in. I was shocked to see the amount in packaged frozen cooked shrimp. I rinsed it a lot, but there goes the texture.... soggy shrimp in my salad...blech... Uncooked shrimp seems to have lower sodium content. Guess I'll be doing more cooking!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can make your own, but Pacific Organic and Trader Joe's low sodium are 70mg per serving. Not too bad!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Kitchen Basics has an unsalted chicken stock, too, that's really good.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Try this:http://www.chicken.ca/recipes/home-made-low-sodium-chicken-stock

You can also use a free range chicken, roast it, have it for dinner and then make a broth/stock from boiling/simmering the left over carcass.
  • wendyhershey4
    wendyhershey4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind making my own, but hard to know how much sodium it yields. I have to put something in my ingredient list. I suppose it's a good bet its less than most boxed. That link suggests 50, but I'm sure it varies.

Kitchen Basics Unsalted has 130mg per serving. That seems high for unsalted! I will try the trader joe's. It seems Trader Joe's is going to be a more regular stop in my travels! Lots of healthy stuff there. I wish I lived closer.