1 Tbsp (15mL), 100% Pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Onion, Vadalia CHOPPED
3 cloves, Garlic, raw - MINCE
1 container (434.00 gram), No salt added tomato sauce
2 container (1 4/5 cup (121g) ea.), Petite Diced Tomatoes 100% Natural
1 head, small (about 4-1/2" dia), Cabbage, raw CHOPPED
6 oz., Water

Chop cabbage, onion, mince garlic.

Brown ground beef and onion (until no more red and onion is tender). Add garlic, cook about 30 seconds.
Add to a medium to large stock pot. Add in cabbage, tomatoes, sauce and water. Season with Salt and Pepper

Bring to boil and let simmer for about 1/2 hour. (Cabbage should be tender)

Replies

• 64heyjude
    64heyjude Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just made this yesterday. It was great.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum, thanks for sharing!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My dad has done a version of this for as long as I can remember, but we always called it 'Exploded Cabbage Rolls'. He also makes shish kabob without the skewers, spreading the ingredients on a broiler pan in the oven and we dubbed that 'Shish Ka-Scatter'.

10382200.png
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    love it... I dont have the patience to roll cabbage rolls. Thus this monstrosity haha
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I make something similar using almost the exact ingredients only I bake it in a casserole dish. Instead of the diced tomatoes I use a can of low sodium tomato soup and about a quarter cup Catalina salad dressing. Came up with this after I had leftover cabbage and ground beef after making the cabbage rolls (we call them halupki). My husband liked it better this way, actually, and I'm glad because making the rolls is a pain.

I'll try it this way in a dutch oven next time... if I don't have to boil the cabbage first, bonus!
  • hmoss619
    hmoss619 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! Made a slightly altered version of this tonight and it was bomb! Will definitely make again.
  • MacroMan2016
    MacroMan2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Add some rice to it and it would be amazing. Used to use rice with the meat mixture when making cabbage rolls.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this recipe! I made it tonight and it was so tasty! We added some red pepper flakes to make it spicy! Yum! (I also used ground turkey because that's what I had I the freezer.)
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This is so weird, I just made unrolled cabbage rolls tonight too! Also a slightly different recipe, but still!
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thats the great thing about this dish, so versatile!! I thought about adding rice, but didn't want the added calories.