Roasted red pepper and lentil soup--sooo delicious! 62 calories

Options
mistressmozart
mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
edited January 2016 in Recipes
Hey everyone! I'd like to share my recipe for roasted red pepper and lentil soup. It's so yummy, filling, healthy and low in calories. (I didn't invent this, got it off the internet ages ago, tweaked it, but don't remember where i originally found it!). This makes 10 servings (which is a full ladle full and a bit. sorry i'm bad about measurements, cooking times, etc). Obviously you can divide the servings how you like. the 62 calories is based on 10 servings.

Ingredients:
6 fresh red peppers
1 bullion cube (or stock, i live in a place where stock isn't easy to find so i use the cube)
shallots (or whatever onion you like)
1/2 cup (about 100g) of red lentils
1 clove garlic
water
Fresh chili pepper if you want to make it spicy

Cut the peppers into halves or quarters, place on baking sheet skin side up. Brush lightly with olive oil (very little is needed). Roast on high heat until the skin bubbles and turns black in some spots. Take out and let cool. Once they have cooled, remove the skin. it should come off easily. Chop into smaller pieces.

You could probably use roasted peppers from a jar, but I don't know if that alters the calorie content of the soup or not.

In the soup pot put chopped onions, crushed garlic, chopped chilis, and black pepper. Saute in olive oil for about 20 seconds, add the peppers, saute a bit more. Then add 2 cups of water. Add the bullion cube. Bring to a boil. Add lentils, reduce and simmer uncovered until lentils are mushy. Stir occasionally. Add more water if needed. I usually end up using 2.5 cups water total.

Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.

I like to crumble a little bit of balkan cheese (like feta) on the top.

Enjoy! I hope you like it as much as i do :)

PS this will keep in the fridge for about 5 days. I'm sure you could freeze it, but i haven't tried before. It reheats well, and usually will thicken up so just add a little water to get the consistency you want.

Replies

• celeste0831
    celeste0831 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm not familiar with cooking lentils, so can you tell me how long I should cook the lentils until they are mushy?
  • caitlinrennes
    caitlinrennes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Going to give that a try! Sounds delicious!
  • mistressmozart
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm not familiar with cooking lentils, so can you tell me how long I should cook the lentils until they are mushy?

celeste, i'm awful about cooking times! I think it should simmer about 20-30 minutes. I just cook it until they look mushy or test one. The lentil should be soft and not firm. The time would probably vary depending on what type of heat you're using as well. I'm cooking on gas. Sorry i'm not much more help about that!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Interesting recipe, I can't wait to make it. I've been looking for something different to try this winter.
  • Juliemcna
    Juliemcna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? How does the 2.5 cups of water in this give you enough volume for 10 servings?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Juliemcna wrote: »
    Am I missing something? How does the 2.5 cups of water in this give you enough volume for 10 servings?

I was thinking the same thing :/
  • mistressmozart
    Options
    hmmm it's a good question...well the servings are small, and perhaps moisture from the peppers? but, i definitely get 10 servings out of it. each serving is one large ladle. i hope that helps! i usually eat this soup with something else, a salad or chicken breast and some veggies. it's more of a side dish but not a meal on its own
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Maybe adding more broth can help with the serving size. I make lentil soups for my family and friends. They love it. The extra broth will not take the taste away...also add more veggies. Hope this helps.