ATT: T1 Diabetics - Do You Do HIIT Workouts?

Options
Hello,

I've always done steady state cardio but I want to try some HIIT to help burn fat. Do any T1 diabetics have experience with this? Will it most likely make me low because its a carb depleting exercise designed to burn more fat and prolong the after effects???
What are some tips on diabetes management when doing HIIT?
I am on Humalog and Levimir in evening.
Thanks

Replies

• Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hello? Type 1s?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I am T2. But this info might be a little useful: After I went from my usual walking (my dog) to a small period of HIIT-type sprinting with her, my blood glucose started going up instead of down for about an hour. The walking instead always has it go down. HIIT can be intense enough to cause a liver glucose dump is what I read about that.

I would walk on my minutes of rest between the sprinting, so I should have been burning off my glucose, I'd thought. A snack beforehand didn't change anything, either. I tried it both ways several times.
  • Leka1000
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wow! Your post pisses me off acutally! LOL
  • Leka1000
    Options
    I guess it's gonna be different for everyone and I should just try and see what happens...

I gotta keep myself from getting stressed out from betes somehow.....ugh...
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I wish there were more info around!! It's aggravating. I looked up all kinds of studies on betes and HIIT. They weren't Type 1, though :(

But the higher numbers for me don't matter, because the sprinting is supposed to help overall (a lot, according to the studies). That's good.

Some folks get higher numbers for too many hours and shouldn't do strenuous exercise without talking to their doctor, though. That sucks. I get the impression those are folks who have a hard time ever getting their numbers down, though, and mine never go really high (just too high to be normal).
  • shirim22
    shirim22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    as a diabetes educator and dietitian I can tell you that cafeaulait7s response is absolutely correct. In high intense exercise like HIIT your numbers can definitely go up. Its due to the liver's output of glucose. This effect can last for 1-2 hours and you should talk to your doctor or diabetes educator about how to adjust your basal and bolus insulin. However, then there may be a sharp drop hours later or overnight as it does decrease any insulin resistance. There is no reason you cannot participate in high intensity exercise (think of the professional athletes with T1) but there is a fine balance of adjusting your insulin and carbohydrate supplementation. Speak with your doctor/diabetes educators before trying and keep lots of records and test your blood sugar frequently (Unless you are on a CGM)