Metagenics Ultra Glucose Control shakes

Options
I am trying to lose weight and am also borderline type 2 diabetic. Nutritionist suggested these shakes but mixed reviews online, only available at doctor and seem expensive (though not sure how much such things usually cost).

Anyone have any experience with these shakes or can suggest alternatives?

Thanks!

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Personally don't bother just follow the guidelines here
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ya, when I was really sick (not diabetes related) 15 years ago I used Metagenics.

I see the ULTRA GLUCOSE CONTROL CHOCOLATE 3.11 LB is $89.95 on Emerson, and that the SRP is $149.95. This is for meal replacement, yes? For how many meals per day would you use Metagenics?

My personal opinion is that while this is a simple way to help you manage your glucose via diet, it is a expensive crutch that will not help you develop sustainable eating habits that you can use long term. I would tell my nutritionist to come up with a food-based diet plan that I promise to stick to. Or, if one tub does not represent a financial hardship, get the one tub as a bridge to changing your eating habits.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Glucerna Shakes are supposedly for diabetics, you could compare them to your Metagenics.

Using shakes to lose weight always made me incredibly hungry and not satisfied. It's hard enough to be in a caloric deficit, why make it worse by drinking calories that could have been eaten in the form of solid foods.

Good luck, losing weight will help your borderline diabetes.
  • mjaygtoo
    mjaygtoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally agree it is a crutch and definitely not part of my long term plan. But, without going into all the drama, things are just chaotic in my life at the moment and I really want something simple where I don't have to think about what to eat as much... and end up making spur of the moment bad choices as much. Yes, this is not the best approach in the long term but it is what I am considering for now. I also need to lose some weight to make recuperation from my upcoming double knee replacement surgery easier. So... there is a lot going on and this would make things easier to some degree.

My nutritionist also suggested Medifast as an alternative.