Food scale - help!

Options
Hello,
I"m 5"7 ...153 pounds..female looking to lose 10 pounds. I lift weights and work out consistently, log what I eat and have only lost 1 pound in 3 weeks. I am thinking I am not logging my food accurately enough as I should be dropping 1.5 pounds a week based on my calories in.
Can anyone recommend a food scale that I should purchase? I'm from ON, canada if that makes a difference of product availability.
Thanks!

Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Any ol' scale will be fine. I have an Ikea one that wasn't much at all. It's lasted me daily use for a year with no signs of stopping.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You don't need anything fancy. A digital scale with a tare button and the ability to easily switch from ounces to grams should do fine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    With only 10 pounds to lose, 1.5 pounds per week it too aggressive. Something more like .5 pound a week would be more reasonable. The reason for this is a person an only burn so much fat in a day. The amount of fat a person can burn is related to how much fat they have to lose. The more fat a person has to lose, the more fat they can burn in a day. The less fat you have to lose, the less you can burn in a day. So with only 10 pounds to go, and thinking your goal is to lose fat, a smaller deficit or lower goal would be good.

Having said that, if you are only losing a third of a pound a week with what is supposed to be a 1.5 pound a week deficit, you are likely eating more than you think you are. If you do decide to go to a smaller deficit, you will need to tighten up your measuring a great deal, so a scale would be a good idea. I would avoid the Wal-mart scales, I had one and it was a constant pain. I like the Starfrit (sp?) digital scales that Canadian Tire sells. I had one for a long time until it got broken. I have replaced it with another one, and it is working just fine.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You don't need anything fancy. A digital scale with a tare button and the ability to easily switch from ounces to grams should do fine.

This. I have a Salter one that's got a totally flat surface (touchscreen instead of buttons) that I like because it's easy to clean and I can easily put any bowl/plate/pan/whatever on it but they all do the same job.

The tare button is important because it makes it really easy and fast to measure multiple items. I put my bowl on it, hit tare to zero it out, add my first ingredient and log it, hit tare again, add my second one, etc etc. Fast, easy, no extra dishes, no arithmetic.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Plus 1 for this. Emphasis on digital and tare button.
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have gotten a few off amazon. They all do the job!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have been using this food scale since 2012 that I bought from Amazon. No Complaints.
    Only thing I had to change were batteries. The scale has a low battery feature too.

Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004164SRA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Any scale that has a TARE button and measures in grams.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I got mine from a grocery store on clearance and it works wonderfully. I particularly like that I can quickly reset and keep measuring without taking the plate off the scale for example. Easily switches from ounces to grams or mL. Can't live without it anymore
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh? Weight can fluctuate a few pounds from day to day. So if you weigh in once a week and it happens to be a day when you bounce up, you might miss a drop. I weigh daily and track the fluctuations and trends in Happy Scale phone app.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How often do you weigh? Weight can fluctuate a few pounds from day to day. So if you weigh in once a week and it happens to be a day when you bounce up, you might miss a drop. I weigh daily and track the fluctuations and trends in Happy Scale phone app.

We are talking about food scales, by the way
  • flaurier
    flaurier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I weigh myself once a week.. I will check out that app.. Thanks!
  • flaurier
    flaurier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for th advice!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have mentioned the "tare" function, grams, and digital display as features needed in a scale. There's one other feature I find important (that most food scales do have, but I mention it just in case):

You want it to be able to weigh a maximum weight much higher than you usually use for a single ingredient or portion. If (for example) you make a soup recipe, you may need to weigh the whole batch so you can split the total calories to calculate individual portion calories based on portion weight.