anyone else have silly thought patterns like this one?

Options
What is running through my mind right now:

I kind of really want to go for a walk/jog but it is *so* cold out I am just not sure. Is 25 degrees too cold? Plus I will want to shower after and I hate to shower twice and I know I will want to shower later before work as well. But if I wait to go out so it's close enough to work to just shower once it will be even colder and dark. Maybe I can try and just see if I can skip showering after...

Then usually after I think like that for a while I get tired and just end up taking a nap instead. And I wonder why I am obese! (No really, I really don't wonder that at all I know exactly why).

Who else has these kinds of utterly unproductive debates with themselves about what they feel like doing? I think I might just be being super immature and need to focus more on what I *should* be doing versus what I *want* to do?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I kind of really want to go for a walk/jog." STOP there. Go for your walk.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I haven't been walking in a while because it's cold and I hate walking in the cold as it makes my ear hurt HORRIBLY. And I've been too lazy to go to the gym.

As for thoughts like that, yeah that happens to me. Not those particular thoughts, but there are times when my brain simply won't SHUT UP. Which is super frustrating when it's at bedtime and I'm trying to sleep!
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    This is why I bought a stationary bike. Friends is on Netflix. Watch. Cycle. Shower after.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

This ^^

• seanoxmix
    seanoxmix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been tempted by a donut for two days now. It became a philosophical argument in my head at some point about whether me and future-me are enemies or not ;) I think I understand where you are coming from. I'm going to pass on the donut again today. Go have your walk!
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The debates in my head are a total pain in the butt. I understand :)
  • Yvonnie16
    Yvonnie16 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So today I walked in the house. Same room. Back and forth 100 times. No need to change, no need to go out, no need for shower. Also I walk while on the phone. A meeting is an hour, I walk for an hour and talk. If I am presenting, I stand and work and talk. Good luck.
  • Norma1468
    Norma1468 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do, and completely agree, just get up and do it! No excuses!
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Thank you- this actually worked LOL!! Out I went and came in just shy of the 3 miles I wanted to do (like around 2.8). I didn't get to jog as much as I would have liked and mostly walked because the sidewalks were so slick and snowy and I didn't want to fall, but I got to enjoy the beautiful snow and being outside just like I wanted.

I was already being active on my gazelle indoors while watching TV, I just felt like taking an outside walk and then my brain tried to make it more complicated than it needed to be.

Appreciate all the awesome reminders all! Sometimes it just helps to hear things from other people, even when you already know it yourself. :)
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    V I C T O R Y ! ! !
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! You did great :) and yes, I have those endless debates with myself and usually I lose. But lately I am winning more of them so the pounds are finally dropping off.
  • buff_daddy
    buff_daddy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's this motivational tool called the "5 minute rule" once the thought pops up in your head, DO IT! Especially of it is productive and beneficial.
  • Thethicke1
    Thethicke1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Omg. I totally do this also! But I got a jump rope and that has really helped for those I don't wanna leave the house days. It's cheap and burns a lot of calories in a short amount of time! Only 15 mins of jumping rope burns over 200 calories! And you can do it while watchin tv or during the commercials!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    When you're faced with a choice, no one knows what the outcome will be ahead of time. When you start to think like this, just focus and choose the one that you'll regret the least.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I made it so easy for myself that I literally have no excuse. I exercise in my living room. I don't have to go anywhere. I literally just have to stand up and push play on YouTube or something. Maybe have a few 'go to' things you do when you are feeling very lazy! Another thing I do is just get dressed in my exercise clothes. Don't think about it. Don't consider it. Don't question whether I want to or don't want to. Just change my clothes like an automaton. Then go and do the exercise. Don't think at all. Just put one foot in front of the other. No need to worry or wonder or reflection or question. Haha finally, I would say to myself, 'just do 5 minutes and if you really are really hating it then, you can stop.' I have never actually stopped. They are just little things that can help make this a sustainable habit for you. It's no longer a chore for me at all but in the beginning (January 2012), it sure felt like whatever I could do to make it easier on myself would come in handy.

Best of luck. x
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Yes, omg, my debate comes from how many showers I'm willing to take in one day. My hair takes an HOUR to dry with a blowdryer so I'm constantly scheduling exercise around it. ridiculous!! I love exercising and I feel amazing after so if I have to wear my hair curly or natural b/c I don't have time to "fix" it, then so be it :)
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I also walk in my house. I don't have any exercise equipment so I just walk back and forth in my tiny living room during commercials on TV. I get anywhere between 300 to 500 steps per commercial break depending on the channel I am watching. I hate commercials so this has become like a game for me and it helps keep me motivated. I don't like the cold or walking in the rain either. Maybe this is something you could do while you are thinking those 'runaround' thoughts or set a timer for 'just five minutes' at a time.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Yes, omg, my debate comes from how many showers I'm willing to take in one day. My hair takes an HOUR to dry with a blowdryer so I'm constantly scheduling exercise around it. ridiculous!! I love exercising and I feel amazing after so if I have to wear my hair curly or natural b/c I don't have time to "fix" it, then so be it :)

Invest in dry shampoo. It's AMAZING!

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Don't think about it. Don't consider it. Don't question whether I want to or don't want to. Just change my clothes like an automaton. Then go and do the exercise. Don't think at all

Yeah, this is really good. All the thinking comes in when you're deciding to be someone who exercises. Then you're done thinking, stop. No more thinking. Just mindless doing. Excess thinking at the wrong times only causes problems, as OP illustrated.
  • fluerjardinier
    fluerjardinier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    With this cold weather I like to stay in a work out, I found a Leslie Sansone walking dvd that is helpful. Spending 30 minutes walking is approx. 2 miles!