Calories Earned with Exercise - What do you do?

Options
Hello, all!

I just realized my calories are upped with exercise. You must upgrade to change that feature to change that option.

Do any of you consume the adjusted calories?

Replies

• JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I always eat back my exercise. Everyone does it differently tho.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level as sedentary, btw, to make sure I wasn't double counting any exercise calories :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up, you're supposed to eat exercise calories back. However, due to overestimation of calories burned, most will do only half of them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes - both for weight loss and maintenance at goal weight.
    I eat all of them.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% of them. I took the time to figure them out by trial and error. Otherwise, I would be under-eating and my workouts would suck.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The way MFP is set up, you're supposed to eat exercise calories back. However, due to overestimation of calories burned, most will do only half of them.

100% this!
  • JohnStJerneJ
    JohnStJerneJ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat them back if I don't need to (aka feeling super hungry). That way I have wiggle room if I didn't exactly measure everything. My calories in could be higher so I find it nice to have that as a fail safe I guess is what you'd call it.
  • Wakes18
    Wakes18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you don't want your calories to increase with exercise, just set the number of calories burned during exercise to 1 (lowest possible number) when logging
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    No, I don't eat them all unless I am hungry or if I go out to eat and I want to enjoy something special. I always leave daily calories as a buffer for the weekends.

MFP is not accurate, neither are the machines at the gym, and I read that fitness trackers are not 100% accurate either; and on top of that we are not 100% bullet proof with the measuring and/or weighing of our food. So as long as I eat above my BMI and as long as I have enough calories and nutrients in my body to fuel my life and workouts I am good to go.

Just do what is best for you. Try and learn.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I ate half of them back (to account for over-estimation) until I got my Fitbit and began eating all of them back. Been doing that since July and lost/maintained exactly as I expected.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat all of them back. It's not that I think the calories allocated for exercise are that far off, it's more that I recognize I tend to rest more after vigorous exercise. If I'm hungry though, I eat every last one of them.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat them all back because I get big burns and need to have at least 1200 net calories.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat them back and then some, sometimes. Other times, no.
  • ttcwas
    ttcwas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OMG Me and my sister were just texting each other about this exact subject I don't put in my exercise till end of the day so I don't eat those extra calories, but some days you need them so it just depends on the day but I get around it by not putting them in till end of the day if don't want to use those exercise calories
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back my exercise calories or at least not eat them all back depends on my day too if I have had a horrible day I will be careful to not eat back but if I have a good day and a hard workout I will eat them back
  • andrewbadera
    andrewbadera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to sedentary with a target of 1.5 pounds weight loss per week. I walk my dog, lift or jog 4-6 days a week. I always eat some of my calories back, but I try never to eat all of them, because my primary goal right now is fat loss. I've gone to bed with too much of a deficit a few times, and felt weak in the gym or out on the road the next day, so I always make sure to eat at least SOME of those calories back.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back. Seems a bit silly to me. However, if you do, I would recommend not eating more than half of what MFP gives you. They tend to be extremely generous in their burn estimates. You have other options too. Record your exercise but don't eat the calories. Don't record your exercise until after you've logged and closed your diary for the day. Just don't record your exercise (for me exercise is a daily part of my routine - I don't record it at all).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I drink.booze
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    elawoman72 wrote: »
    Hello, all!

I just realized my calories are upped with exercise. You must upgrade to change that feature to change that option.

Do any of you consume the adjusted calories?

I adjust the calorie burn (MFP tends to OVERestimate your caloric burn) by multiplying the amount of calories MFP says I burned by .666*** and enter that in my Exercise Dairy. Then I eat all or most (depending on how hungry I am that day) those calories back. (I do tend to try and leave a few extra calories for the weekend as that's when I will be mostly likely to exceed my calories and this helps keep my weekly amount in overall deficit..)

If you are following the TDEE method, you don't. If you are using MFP under its default setting, you would not be doing TDEE though so what I said could apply.

*** There are varying opinions on how much overestimation MFP does. Many cut the calorie estimate in half. For now, .666 is still working for me but if I discover my weight loss stalling (when my calories "look" at a deficit in my diary) then I will adjust the amount of exercise calories claimed downward.
  • elawoman72
    elawoman72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    I set my activity level as sedentary, btw, to make sure I wasn't double counting any exercise calories :)

Good point...everyone will work it differently. Nice tip on the setting to sedentary!