Cold, cold, cold!

Options
Hi all, in the last year I've lost 65lb and I'm noticing how cold I am all the time this winter. It's particularly my feet and hands but I'm generally cold aswell. Is this a side effect of my weightloss, or is it unrelated and maybe a different problem entirely? Anyone else experienced feeling a lot colder then usual after losing weight? If it is related anyone anyone know how long it will last before my body gets used to not having as much "insulation"?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately totally normal :(
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am not getting cold a lot, but rather not getting too hot much anymore. My husband is very grateful as he can now turn up the heat a little. :D
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I wear a sweater, sweatpants, 2 blankets, and sometimes steal my husband's blanket with the heat on lol.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a deficit now? I started losing weight two winters ago. I was really cold that whole winter, even though I usually run hot. Last winter I was maintaining my weight and didn't feel nearly as cold, even though I was 50 pounds lighter. This winter I am eating in a deficit again and really cold, though I'm at the same weight (couple pounds less) I maintained last winter.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am only down 13 pounds and started in a healthy BMI, and I am constantly fighting to keep my hands warm now. I think it has to be a bi product of losing and eating at a deficit.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50lbs and my hands and feet are always cold as well. Actually, as I'm typing this, my hands are freezing. It's normal, unfortunately.
  • annamaple
    annamaple Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Same here! I've lost about 40 lbs in the last year and went from generally chilly to freezing all the time. I went to the doctor to see if it was due to weak circulation, but there was nothing wrong with me. I'm also eating at a deficit so it could be that or the weight loss itself.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've lost 80 pounds and I'm constantly cold!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Normal. My husband lost weight and bought his first pair of long johns in the same year.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm down 55 lbs and I'm constantly cold! I wear fleece lined tights under my jeans and two or three long sleeved shirts (two if I have a sweatshirt). It's ridiculous. Oh, and usually a scarf as well. And it's not uncommon for me to be wearing my winter hat around the office. It also doesn't help that the high here has not gotten out of the single digits for the last few days. I need to move some place warm....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    70 pounds down and im NEVER hot... but ALWAYS cold.

we literally dont have the insulation we used to ;)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Normal. Last winter i could go without a jacket until about 15*f. Now im busting out the jackets around 35*f!
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Normal. I have developed a whole new appreciation for hats and gloves!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm only 13lbs down but I think the combination of being in a calorie deficit and not drinking alcohol has made me FREEZING!!!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Often a thyroid problem related to not enough Iodine. Research Iodoral tablets.
  • richtodd1976
    richtodd1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, yes I'm still at a calorie deficit at the moment. I was hoping it was associated with weightloss and not something more serious, so it looks like thats a minor drawback, but it will be worth it....... Keep warm people..... & thanks for all the responses
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I try to look on the bright side....my fingers and nose might be freezing to the touch, but really all the better to startle the heck outta my hunny. Sneak up like a shark behind the couch and bam! Cold nose on the neck! Never fails to amuse me...not so much my husband oddly enough.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Always ran hot, hotter still when losing during menopause. I was cold for the first 2 winters post menopause and weight loss, but for the past 4 years I have felt at a normal temperature. A couple of degrees cooler than before, but that means I will put the heat on if others are in the house. Much to their relief.

I think it is normal to be extra cold after the initial weight loss, but it does tend normalise eventually.

Cheers, h.
  • evalaporte
    evalaporte Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Might be worth checking your thyroid and hormones if it's too uncomfortable or you're worried.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel colder than in the past.