Making and freezing breakfast burritos?

Options
I am going to start making and freezing breakfast burritos, I got the idea from a friend on here that told me her recipe and it sounds yummy lol. I was wondering if any other members make and freeze them if so how do you unthawing them and would you share your recipes. Thanks

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Haha, you have the same name on both forums!

Breakfast burrito:
    Sauté onion, pepper, mushroom, spinach. Chop 8 slices of center cut bacon or lower calorie sausage, and crisp. Cook 8 scrambled eggs, and mix all cooled ingredients together. Lay out 8 large high fiber/low carb burritos (like La Tortilla Factory smart and delicious line or Ole Wellness High Fiber) – for gluten free, Aldi sells a 90 calorie GF tortilla. Divide mixture amongst 8 burritos, top each with 14-28g cheese of choice, and roll into burritos, folding in the sides. Lay seam side down on cookie sheet, and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave wrapped in damp paper towel for 2-3 minutes until thawed or microwave until thawed and crisp in a pan or under the broiler. Options: add in cooked potatoes, vegetables to taste, sun dried tomatoes, jalapenos, hot sauce, or any other preferred fillings. Can substitute 2 egg whites for each whole egg.

Non-breakfast burrito:
    Mix 2 cups of cooked rice of choice, sautéed vegetables of choice, one can rinsed black beans, salsa (optional jalapeno, hot sauce, sofrito, corn, etc). Lay out 8 large high fiber/low carb burritos, divide, top each with 14-28g cheese, roll, and freeze on cookie sheet. To serve, microwave wrapped in paper towel for 2-3 minutes until thawed or microwave until thawed and crisp in a pan or under a broiler. Options: replace some or all of the rice and beans with shredded cooked chicken/beef/pork or cooked ground meat.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I made mine with 10 small tortillas. 6 eggs, a pound of spicy Italian sausage, and half a cup of shredded cheddar. I split the scrambled eggs, sausage, and cheese among the tortillas then skewer with a toothpick and freeze in a ziplock bag. A minute in the microwave makes them hot and melts the cheese.
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow great recipes. Do they get soggy when microwaving them. And do you let everything cool before adding to wrap. I know when I make them sometimes and put egg veggies in hot the wrap get a bit soggy. Thanks
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I didn't let everything cool, and I didn't find them soggy.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Eggs cool so fast, that by the time I've laid out my 8 wraps and divide the mixture, they're at least room temp. I prefer to broil them so they turn out more like chimichangas, but totally unnecessary.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good. I am going to have to try these. Thanks everyone for the ideas!

(Queenmunchy ~ you always have the best recipes! :smile: )
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    @mamafunky, thanks! I love to cook :)
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    @mamafunky, thanks! I love to cook :)

I love to cook (and eat) too! I have always enjoyed seeing your pics and your recipes. :smile:
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I used to freeze them ahead for my partner, so they weren't exactly low calorie. But you should definitely defrost in the fridge over night, otherwise the tortillas get tough from too long in the microwave to defrost. He said he heated his for 30 seconds and they were perfect.
  • annie_37
    annie_37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Such a good idea! I'm going to have to try it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The thing is... they're so easy to make, I don't see the point, honestly. It takes me 5 minutes to make one (basically 40 seconds to cook the egg in the microwave and 45 seconds for the sausage, plus assembly). That vs 2 minutes to thaw it, I'll take the 3 extra minutes and fresh taste every time. Got to precook the sausage or bacon though, obviously.
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch and freeze them, but they're not necessarily "breakfast" burritos. I put in brown rice, bkack beans, a little cheddar, 1tb sour cream, garlic salt, hot sauce. LOVE them, I just microwave 1.5min in the morning
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I wrap loosely in a paper towel without thawing , they come out perfect
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The thing is... they're so easy to make, I don't see the point, honestly. It takes me 5 minutes to make one (basically 40 seconds to cook the egg in the microwave and 45 seconds for the sausage, plus assembly). That vs 2 minutes to thaw it, I'll take the 3 extra minutes and fresh taste every time. Got to precook the sausage or bacon though, obviously.

I definitely would if it was easier. I make them mostly for my family, but it takes me longer to cut and sauté all of the vegetables and then clean it up every morning before work.
    It saves me time to chop/cook/clean once instead of 8 separate times.