Do macros matter if you're in a cal deficit?

Options
karwowski1992
karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Someone suggested I lower my carb intake and I really really really don't want to. Carbs keep me sane. Plus, if I'm in a cal deficit what does it matter? Right?

Goal: Gain muscle/lose fat
Height: 5 ft 7in
Weight: 142 lbs
Body fat: unknown but probably around 25%
How long have I been counting: 9 weeks but did lose my way around the holidays (but I've been lifting for a year! I'm not new to this.)
Do I measure all foods: yes

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Our macros matter for our health. We need certain amounts of protein and fat to maintain health and meet certain fitness goals. Are carbohydrates crowding out the protein and fat that you need?
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do make sure I have my protein in. One gram (or more) per pound. Fats..eh. I don't really care for it but I get around 58 grams a day.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It is usually recommended around here to get 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, and ~0.3 grams of fat per pound of body weight. The rest do as you please (make them all carbs if you want). Sounds like you fall into that range just fine.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    As long as your getting enough protein, your fine eating the remaining calories in carbs!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    It is usually recommended around here to get 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, and ~0.3 grams of fat per pound of body weight. The rest do as you please (make them all carbs if you want). Sounds like you fall into that range just fine.

This is the correct answer

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You will not be gaining any muscle whatsoever during a deficit. You will be losing it along with fat. However, this is where macros and lifting come in to play. When someone loses weight purely by decreasing calories, they will "shrink" to a smaller version of what they already are. They will lose fat- but also lots of lean muscle. This results in what many people call "skinny fat". When you are in a deficit and are feeding your body the proper amounts of fats, protein, and carbs while also following a compound and solid lifting routine, your body will lose fat while maintaining muscle mass. That's not to say you will not lose muscle while eating the proper macros and lifting, but you will definitely lose much less which results in a more lean and tight physique.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Where is everyone getting this 1g/lb recommendation? I'm seeing it all over the place but can't source it. The only sources I could find suggested
    A study by William M. Rand, Peter L. Pellett and Vernon R. Young, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggests that healthy adults require between 0.65 g and 0.83 g of protein for every 2.2 lb of body weight. Athletes and people involved in resistance training require between 1.2 g and 2.2 g of protein per 2.2 lb of body weight, as suggested in a study by Jacob Wilson and Gabriel J. Wilson in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.
    -- "How Many Calories are in One Gram of Protein"

The original articles give recommendations in g/kg bodyweight. As 1 lb = 2.2 kg, I see people recommending nearly (or more than) twice the amount for everyone!

This is a general purpose forum, and outside of competitive athletes and bodybuilders, the protein recommendations are much lower than this 1g/lb that people are quoting. There is a wide variance in what constitutes a "healthy" amount; as near as I can tell, if you eat a variety of foods you're going to meet those needs and have plenty of "extra" calories to put into whatever you want (protein, carbs, fat).
  • MonkeysForSale
    MonkeysForSale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Where is everyone getting this 1g/lb recommendation? I'm seeing it all over the place but can't source it. The only sources I could find suggested
    A study by William M. Rand, Peter L. Pellett and Vernon R. Young, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggests that healthy adults require between 0.65 g and 0.83 g of protein for every 2.2 lb of body weight. Athletes and people involved in resistance training require between 1.2 g and 2.2 g of protein per 2.2 lb of body weight, as suggested in a study by Jacob Wilson and Gabriel J. Wilson in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.

The original articles give recommendations in g/kg bodyweight. As 1 lb = 2.2 kg, I see people recommending nearly (or more than) twice the amount for everyone!

This is a general purpose forum, and outside of competitive athletes and bodybuilders, the protein recommendations are much lower than this 1g/lb that people are quoting. There is a wide variance in what constitutes a "healthy" amount; as near as I can tell, if you eat a variety of foods you're going to meet those needs and have plenty of "extra" calories to put into whatever you want (protein, carbs, fat).

+1

Fair to say, over-relying on a single type of energy source in your diet is probably not a good idea.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You will not be gaining any muscle whatsoever during a deficit. You will be losing it along with fat. However, this is where macros and lifting come in to play. When someone loses weight purely by decreasing calories, they will "shrink" to a smaller version of what they already are. They will lose fat- but also lots of lean muscle. This results in what many people call "skinny fat". When you are in a deficit and are feeding your body the proper amounts of fats, protein, and carbs while also following a compound and solid lifting routine, your body will lose fat while maintaining muscle mass. That's not to say you will not lose muscle while eating the proper macros and lifting, but you will definitely lose much less which results in a more lean and tight physique.

This ^

http://comfortpit.com/the-truth-about-calories/
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

+1

Fair to say, over-relying on a single type of energy source in your diet is probably not a good idea.

1g per lb is hardly relying. 120-200 grams of protein equates to between 480-800 calories coming from protein. No wonder so many people have a "soft" look, no one eats enough protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without lowering carbs, BUT you can't burn fat until you do. Your choice. ;)