Logging Local Restaurants Help?

Options
I'm curious how you guys log local pizza places? The one i'm going to tonight only has 2 locations and doesn't post calories. They do have their own brand frozen pizza. Do I just use the numbers for that?

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I usually just use a comparable national brand, like Domino's, for our local pizza place.
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If a place I eat at doesn't have nutritional information online or somewhere on the premises (which is often since I eat out at a lot of small eateries), I look for things in the database that are similar, using the ones that are on the higher end of calories.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Just use a comparable product/brand/eaterie
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Just use a comparable product/brand/eaterie

Well I don't really know any comparable places because they are all local places themselves. The pizza place is one of those thin crust square slices places and all of them are pretty much the same. But, I can't think of a national chain like that
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the shape really matters.

Just log a thin crust pizza from a national chain.

It's not really that difficult.
  • srecupid
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I'm not sure the shape really matters.

Just log a thin crust pizza from a national chain.

It's not really that difficult.

Maybe I'm just a bit anal. But, I guess you do what you gotta do
  • thehoss316
    thehoss316 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I type in what I'm eating, and then usually go with a choice that's fairly high in calorie content (so long as it looks reasonable). Figured it's better to play things conservative.

Another approach I've taken is that, if I know I'm going to have a calorie-intense meal out, I will try to have a very large deficit but for that meal, then not log it. Kind of defeats the purpose of the app...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It can vary widely but just use some common sense instead of "cheating" and going with the lowest. Just pick thin or deep dish and what is on it and search. You will find several choices on this sight but many will be wrong low. Pick the highest or something above the middle and you will survive. When I was counting I got pretty good at looking at something and saying "that about 1000 calories". All you need to do is be even or a little over in your estimate and the scale will still go down. Of course that also means the opposite is true too.
  • srecupid
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    It can vary widely but just use some common sense instead of "cheating" and going with the lowest. Just pick thin or deep dish and what is on it and search. You will find several choices on this sight but many will be wrong low. Pick the highest or something above the middle and you will survive. When I was counting I got pretty good at looking at something and saying "that about 1000 calories". All you need to do is be even or a little over in your estimate and the scale will still go down. Of course that also means the opposite is true too.

Would it be more accurate if I used the equivelent frozen pizza that is sold under same name at local grocery stores? The frozen one is a little thicker actually. Maybe because super thin crust pizza doesn't hold up well frozen?