Looking for info @ weight gain with chemo therapy treatments

Options
I have recently had cancer surgery involving a double-mastectomy and will undergo chemo-therapy sometime in the next few weeks. I have read that this can cause weight gain, despite the feeling of nausea and reduced food intake. It averages a five to 25 pound weight gain.

Does anyone have an experience or knowledge of this problem? I am about 20 pounds overweight now. I am not looking for another increase.

Thanks,
bigsylhall

Replies

• BigSylHall
    Options
    I have recently had cancer surgery involving a double-mastectomy and will undergo chemo-therapy sometime in the next few weeks. I have read that this can cause weight gain, despite the feeling of nausea and reduced food intake. It averages a five to 25 pound weight gain.

Does anyone have an experience or knowledge of this problem? I am about 20 pounds overweight now. I am not looking for another increase.

Thanks,
    bigsylhall
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give you the name of someone on here that I know has gone through chemo, but she's not often on during the week. Look in your mailbox shortly. I know she wouldn't mind answering any questions she can about it. I pray for the best outcome for you. :flowerforyou:

Edit: she's not on often during the weekEND.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have to go through it...

I know nothing but I'm guessing that a lot of it might be water retention because of the chemo destroying bad cells and that cellular matter gets turned into a liquid form so you can eliminate it???
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Thanks,
    bigsylhall

I found some information that discusses reason for the weight gain and some things you can try to counteract it at the following site from the American Cancer Society
    http://www.cancer.org/docroot/SPC/content/SPC_1_Breast_Cancer_Weight_Gain.asp

Good luck with your treatments and fighting your cancer