Anorexia to normal

Options
Why is this such a hard topic?? because you will always have that uncertain feeling of I am going to be fat again and gain too much weight back but in reality its either eat or die I choose life I am 18 and slowly getting over anorexia and a lot of problems I have with food Im teaching myself on how to maintain and would love some help!!

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I don't have any experience with what you are going though, but I'm active and I have an open diary. We can encourage each other to be our best!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Congrats on recovery
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You would not be on a calorie counting site for ana or mia recovery. No one eating to gain weight would need to count calories. I cannot elaborate as to my own history, but I would not be here doing this my self, my doctors and therapist would be 100% in control of my health and not strangers on a community calorie counting site.

I hate to say it but this is not a site for this type of recovery you wish to discuss. You will be pointed back to discuss medical and mental disorders with your doctor. sorry.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I understand that rollercoaster. The minute I hit maintenance and allowed myself to start eating more, those thoughts started again.. my ED years are somewhat behind me, but I believe we carry those thoughts forever, it's just what we do with them that matters in recovery....Add me if you'd like, I'd love to help support and motivate you! Much love! xo
  • dweeben
    dweeben Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Have faith in science and trust that what it says you need to eat is correct for your body, and that it won't make you get fat.

Also remember that a lot of it is about perspective. I used to live in a country where everyone was much more petite than at home, and this really skewed my perception of how I should look and of what is ok and normal.

Good luck xxxxx
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went through eating disorder recovery several years ago. You're not going to like this answer, but step 1, delete myfitnesspal. Now is NOT the time for you to be counting calories.

Now, if you're working with a therapist, take their advice. Don't listen to us- listen to a trained professional. If you don't have a therapist, get one (that specializes in eating disorders).

I will tell you what helped me when I was in therapy, though. Seriously, first of all, stop calorie counting. I don't even do calorie counting now, I mainly only use MFP to check my nutrient intake once in a while for some classes I'm taking. You have to understand that myfitnesspal is built to help and encourage people to lose weight. If that's not you, I encourage you to delete myfitnesspal and any other form of calorie counting you have.

Next, keep track of the foods you eat through the day- but in a different way. Don't specify quantity, don't count or even think about calories. Just write the names of them. You can also write down the feelings you have associated with each food. Keep track of which ones give you anxiety, and try to think and write about why that does. Try to include a new anxiety-provoking food three times a week. Each week choose a new food you will eat. For me, chocolate muffins was a really hard one.

Again, I urge you to work with a therapist and maybe a dietician to help you find the best treatment plan.