How to get high protein, low carbs

Options
I'm trying to get around 40% protein and 30% carbs a day but every time I try to eat something high in protein it seems to come with the carbs. Any food suggestions that have worked for you on getting mainly just your protein up for the day?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too high for Protein. Shoot for 20-25% Protein, 20-25% carbs, the rest healthy fats.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, fish, yogurt, cheese.

What high protein items are you eating that are also high carb? Is it in a meal that contains different ingredients?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast per 100 gram serving 31 grams of protein 0 carbs.
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Meat, eggs, fish, yogurt, cheese.

What high protein items are you eating that are also high carb? Is it in a meal that contains different ingredients?

Nuts mostly. Oh and I can't do grain or dairy
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Meat meat and more meat
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    animal
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Things that have mothers
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • frantzcr
    Options
    I eat meat so that's good news for me. Any tips for those who choose not to and what they can eat to increase protein?
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    PBI, I'm keen on some breakfast ideas that doesn't involve greek yoghurt, protein powder and eggs ( I do eat eggs but I don't want to every day). Can't afford protein powder at the moment and greek yoghurt YUCK

thanks
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    eggs.
    omg yummmmmy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    PBI, I'm keen on some breakfast ideas that doesn't involve greek yoghurt, protein powder and eggs ( I do eat eggs but I don't want to every day). Can't afford protein powder at the moment and greek yoghurt YUCK

thanks

Eat whatever you eat for lunch and dinner. Eat meat.... Easy!
  • frantzcr
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »

thanks

I've found nut butters to be helpful. I try to avoid peanut or those high in sugars. It's best if the only ingredient is the ground but. If you can eat bread I recommend a high fiber bread toasted with almond butter and mashed avocado
  • frantzcr
    Options
    Ground nut*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well nuts are really not a great source of protein.

So yeah, meat and fish, pretty much.
  • frantzcr
    Options
    For vegans nuts and beans are okay choices
  • littlehokie10
    littlehokie10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, Tuna fish packets, cottage cheese, meat (chicken breast), eggs. all good protein sources with low carbs.
  • frantzcr
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, Tuna fish packets, cottage cheese, meat (chicken breast), eggs. all good protein sources with low carbs.
    Oh I hadn't thought of tuna! Would sardines be okay instead if trying to avoid heavy metals?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    frantzcr wrote: »
    For vegans nuts and beans are okay choices

Not really. Not if higher protein, reasonable amounts of fat, etc are in the cards.

For vegans, more protein rich sources would be seitan, tofu, tempeh, textured vegetable/soy protein. Nuts are high fat, and although there is nothing wrong with fat, I couldn't eat enough nuts to gain a reasonable amount of protein without going over fats rather quickly.

Lesser protein sources would be edamame, soy beans, beans in general, lentils, higher protein grains, green peas, and other foods in that line of thinking.

Also, there are a myriad of vegan/vegetarian protein powders available that have a good protein balance.

You're not going to get a better source than meat and dairy, though. Vegan/vegetarian proteins are always going to have a lesser amount of protein by volume in comparison, and many of them are going to come with carbs along for the ride... just one of the things you have to balance if you are vegan/vegetarian.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Story of my life fighting to get more protein, less carbs. I'm kind of done worrying too much about it, as long as I'm within my calories. Nut butter and milk, meat and fish. I hate Greek yoghurt but I might try again and play around with adding flavour or fruit. I reckon I'm going to have to get some protein powder if I ever really worry that much!