I have no idea how to create a meal plan on my budget

Options
I live with my bf who works barely full-time at minimum wage. We can't really afford more than 200 on food at the most. We're just barely above the limit to get food stamps which is really rough because I don't know what to do other than stretch rice or pasta, but I'm so sick of feeling so awful from my poor diet and weight.

I'm 5'3.5" and last I checked 172lbs thanks to medicine I was taking for sleep/ bipolar disorder (seroquel)

I love vegetables and fruits. Greens I'm not a fan of, but at this point I'll do what it takes. I don't want to starve though as I've had problems with starving myself in the past.
I hate cheese and milk and most things like mayo, mustards, dressings, the only meat I really like is turkey and chicken.

Any advice?

Replies

• tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's hard when you are on a tight budget to eat healthy but it's not impossible. Definitely structuring your eating around produce is a good idea. Humble foods like cabbage and spinach are inexpensive but amazing for health and weight loss and beauty. One of the most inexpensive things I make is a slaw using vinegar cabbage and carrots and keeping that in the fridge to have as a side. Eggs are a good source of protein and making omlettes for meals with lots of vegetables can be a good way for a filling low cal healthy meal.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How long does that $200 need to last you? I'm guessing a month?

Lentils and dry beans are pretty inexpensive. Check for sales at local grocery stores and/or shop at Aldi if you have one in your area.

Check out budgetbytes.com for recipes.

~Lyssa
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if you can spend $200 a month on food - you can eat healthy as long as you are willing to put the effort in and cook. Frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breast is generally $2 or so dollars per pound. A pound of chicken, a pound of potatoes, a pound of carrots all made into stew could last the two of you at least 3 meals. Chili is also inexpensive to make (use the cheapest cut of meat you can find - or use chicken). There are tons of things you can make for not that expensive.
  • TrainTheTiger
    TrainTheTiger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Roast a chicken. Between the two of you, that's two meals for $6 plus veggies and carbs. Brine the chicken (1/2 cup of salt in 6 cups of water for an hour. Take it out, stick a tablespoon of butter under each breast, wipe some olive oil on it, and crack some pepper on it. Roast at 400 (in a rimmed cookie sheet or baking pan on a wire rack) 15 minutes with one wing up, turn it over and put the other wing up for another 15m. Then put it breast side up for 20-35 minutes (a cheap thermometer is $7, and really the only way to avoid dry meat.) Take it out, let it rest for 20 minutes. You can each eat a breast the first night with veggies (steam in bag is more expensive than fresh, but convenience can't be beat) with some rice. Pull the rest of the dark meat off and put in a ziploc container with the rest of the gravy (stir a tablespoon of flour into the fat and cook slowly while constantly stirring until the flour isn't raw). Day 2, you divide up the meat and gravy over rice. Bada-bing.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you qualify there might be food banks in your area you can get some staples from. I reside on the coast of Oregon, and there are 3 I can use throughout the month if I choose to. Sometimes I just get fruit and veggies, and other times the works. Don't give yourself a guilt trip about it, reality happens. My husband was disabled for awhile and couldn't work and I took care of him. He was a military guy so my thought was, "its time society took care of us for a change". I have realized that eating healthy is expensive to a degree. Canned veggies and beans make a great soup if you rinse them all first. I have been known to make a pot of soup and eat off it for the week! The food banks give out breads, and meats as well. Sometimes someone shoots a deer, or fishes more than they are allotted and so it gets used as food bank staples. Nothing like have Elk in your freezer that says "Illegally poached***Evidence" :-)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish specifics
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Beans, Rice, Frozen vegies are good fillers to extend your food budget, eggs, chicken and pork are reasonably priced for protein. I have a family of 3 and live on about 250-300/month for food.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Beans, brown rice, tuna.

does cottage cheese count as milk and cheese to you?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It's hard when you have little money to spend on food but there are some things you can do that will help.

Inexpensive protein sources
    Lentils, dried peas and beans, eggs.
    I buy meats in bulk when I find them on sale. I reportion then package into quart size freezer bags, and keep the portions small. A 3 pound bag of frozen chicken breast tenderloins goes a long way and is cheaper per pound than chicken found in the meat aisle.

Rice as you know is inexpensive and you can find a number of varieties. I also like to have pearl barley as a side dish cook just like rice.

Fresh veg can be expensive but you can often find large 3-5 pound bags of frozen veg for a few dollars. I just bought California blend, corn and mixed vegetables for about $1 a pound Broccoli is also another good veg to buy in bulk in the freezer aisle. Also go for things that are in season. They usually are the best bang for your buck.

Also if you have access to a local farmer's market, roadside farm stands or flea market during the warmer months (usually May-November in the Northeast) be sure to go frequently. You can usually get quite a lot of great veggies for under $20. Be proactive and buy lots of fresh veg in the growing season and either can it or freeze it.

As someone else said, my chest freezer is my favorite and best investment. You can freeze a lot of fresh veg with very little prep work and also have space to store batch cooked soups, and those great bargains on meats, especially things like Hams and turkeys at holiday times can be found for very low prices and can provide for many meals if you plan right.

If you have friends who hunt ask them about sharing part of their catch. A lot of hunters are very generous and will give venison and other wild meats to those who can use the meat or some will give you a whole deer and all you do is pay for the processing which comes out pretty cheap per pound.

Invest in fishing equipment and do some fishing if the resource is available. Fresh fish makes a good addition to your meal plan. And you really don't need anything more than a basic rod and reel and some hooks sinkers and bobbers. These items are inexpensive. Bait can be found for free in the yard and along the water.

Learn to forage. Check out http://foodunderfoot.com/ They have a lot of information on fresh natural food that you can find growing in your own yard or neighborhood... even if you live in the city.

Make your own bread. A basic bread is pretty easy to make and cheap too. There are lots of great recipes on line.

Grow your own. Even if you don't have space for a garden you can grow herbs and ,a few vegetables, in containers.

When you don't have much money you have to learn to not be too picky about what you like. Learn to enjoy many foods and be willing to experiment.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Have you tried checking if you qualify for food banks in your area. Out here food banks do not have the same income requirements as Food Stamps. Out here you can not qualify for food stamps and still qualify for Food Banks.
    Other than that I would say check the free couponing apps, day old bread stores, buy the meat that says reduced price and freeze/cook them as soon as possible, and pick something cheap to base your meals around. There are many people on line who give cheap meal ideas on their blogs or in their videos. Check out some food shopping videos for people around your budget and follow what they bought/ take shopping tips from them.
    Good luck.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are cooking in bulk. Frozen fruits and veggies. Large bags of rice and beans. Buy seasonal, and at the farmer's market if you have one. I live on $60 every two weeks for groceries. I will sometimes eat the same meal for three days straight. You can eat pretty much whatever, but your portions may have to be reduced for calorie restriction.
  • TrainTheTiger
    Options
    Well, I posted a simple roasted chicken recipe, but it seems to have disappeared. Long story short, brine a chicken that costs you $6. Roast it after smearing on olive oil and black pepper. Make gravy afterwards (1 TBS flour). Each of you eat a skin-on breast on day one. On day two, you take the rest of the meat you pulled off the carcass and pour it over brown rice with the gravy. Two meals for two people, $7 not including rice/steam in bag veggies.
  • TrainTheTiger
    Options
    Your other magic ingredient is boneless skinless chicken thighs. They're usually pretty cheap, and can be used in almost any recipe (chicken tikka masala, moroccan chicken, etc.) If there are two cookbooks I go back to again and again for paleo food (which you can de-paleo by adding rice or pasta too), it's "Well Fed" and "Well Fed 2." They are both very good at showing you how to create "modular" meals with inexpensive ingredients by changing out the combination of vegetables and spices. 1lb of ground beef done 15 different ways, the only additional cost being vegetables (like a bag of frozen cauliflower) spice blends (which you make yourself cheap), and maybe coconut milk.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Well, I posted a simple roasted chicken recipe, but it seems to have disappeared. Long story short, brine a chicken that costs you $6. Roast it after smearing on olive oil and black pepper. Make gravy afterwards (1 TBS flour). Each of you eat a skin-on breast on day one. On day two, you take the rest of the meat you pulled off the carcass and pour it over brown rice with the gravy. Two meals for two people, $7 not including rice/steam in bag veggies.

You can stretch it even further by boiling the carcass in water/broth... Add some onions, celery, carrots, noodles (homemade or storebought) and you have chicken noodle soup...
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I live in South Africa, so converted to dollars I live on about $80-100 per month, I cook all my meals bulk so nothing goes to waste and live off chicken, rice, chilli, I make my own thai curry sauce using knorr powder packets. I make my own curry sauce using spicy tinned veg etc. Chilli is simply 500g of mince, a tin of tomatoes, a pepper, cumin and cayenne, that barely costs anything and lasts 5 days throughout the week.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great ideas. Something that helped me when I was a single mom...eggs. High in protein, filling and nutritious. An omelet is inexpensive to make and will fill you up for breakfast or dinner. Make twice as much as you need for a meal and freeze the remainder for a second meal. This way, if you are pressed for time or have a busy week, you are less likely to make a take out stop. When you find meat on a good sale, buy extra. Cook it ahead of time then portion it out and freeze it. I buy pork loin on sale for super cheap then cut it up myself. I make boneless chops, a few roasts and some strips for stir fry. I can easily get 5 meals out of one pork loin that may cost me $15. I found an article that might help you as well:

http://www.thekitchn.com/10-smart-tips-for-eating-healthy-on-a-super-tight-budget-reader-intelligence-report-211182
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you have Asian or Hispanic markets around you can usually find produce for cheap there.
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    $200 a month, 2 people. NOt a problem. Well, it's still gonna be tight. But here's a shopping list. My budget is $200 a month. This is what I bought, and what it made

Shopping list 1 = Under $200.

Shopping 12-7-2015

French Fries
    Hamburgers - 8
    Cream Cheese Cherry Scones
    Spaghetti and Meatballs

4 pounds hamburger
    2 pounds sausage

1 jar diced garlic
    3 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    2 diced tomatoes
    2 crushed tomatoes
    2 cans tomato paste
    2 onions
    2 green peppers
    1 large oil
    1 cilantro
    2 creamers

1 10 pound bag potatoes
    1 sliced cheese

1 butter unsalted
    1 Heavy Cream
    1 container eggs
    1 can cherries
    1 Powdered Sugar, Sifted

1 bag bread crumbs
    1 parmesean cheese
    1 basil
    3 boxes spaghetti
    1 hamberger buns
    1 bag mini sub rolls

Shopping list 2 = $180ish (these are purchased in indiana)

Pot Roast
    Pizzas (Sausage and bacon with ranch)
    Sunday night stew
    beef and bean burritos
    breakfast sandwiches

2.00 lb(s), Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat - $8.98
    5.00 lbs, Beef - Chuck, clod roast, lean only, cooked, roasted - $22.45
    2 containers Beef Broth, 100% Natural, 100% Fat Free
    2 lbs, Hot Sausage
    1 pound bacon - $3.69

8 large onions = $3
    4 WHOLE, Whole Red Bell Peppers - $3 + 1 free
    1 jar jalepenos
    Jar of diced garlic
    3 pounds Carrots, raw - $2.23
    10 lbs bag potatoes - $4
    1 bag celery
    2 bags frozen green beans - $2
    3 jars salsa - $2
    2 tomatoes - $2

24 pack water - $2.69

Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Light Ranch dressing
    vinegar
    baking soda

4 bag soft taco shells = $3
    3 french breads (dough)

3 cans tomato paste
    4 cans tomato sauce
    3 blocks cheese - $7.50

1 bag of beans to be turned into refried beans

Thyme
    Onion powder
    massive pack of eggs = <$4
    creamer
    coffee - $6.49
    heavy whipping cream = mashed potatoes

Shopping list 3 = 190ish

Cheesecake Squares
    hot and spicy drip beef
    Pork chops and pinapple fried rice
    Biscuits and Gravy
    scalloped potatoes and ham
    beer braised beef with onions
    Tamales
    Carrots
    peas
    3 Sandwich rolls - packages
    1 pound sausage
    1 pork roast to be cut into steaks/ chops
    8 pounds Chuck Roast, 5-8 pounds
    1 ham (1lb at least)
    3 packages (8 Ounces Each) Cream Cheese, Softened
    8 Eggs
    1 Sour Cream
    1 heavy whipping cream
    Lactose Free Milk
    Coffee
    1 Butter

1 bag potatoes
    2 bags carrots (2 lbs)
    3 bags frozen peas
    12 Large Onions
    1 boxGraham Crackers
    2 boxes scalloped potatoes

Walnuts

1 cans pineapple chunks
    1 bag rice ?

1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
    1 Hot Sauce
    1 jar (small) Drained Pimentos
    1 light mayo

1 6 pack cheap Beer
    Rosemary
    8 Beef Stock
    1 can 28 Ounce Crushed Tomatoes
    1 jar (16 Ounce) Pepperoncinis, With Juice
    1 jar (16 Ounce) Hot Cherry Peppers, Drained
    2 jars (4 Ounces Each) Pimentos
    1 Provolone OR Mozzarella Cheese
    4 ounces dried New Mexico chilies
    2 ounces ancho chiles
    2 ounces pasilla chiles
    2 bags dried corn husks, about 3 dozen
    4 cups masa mix
    1 cup Lard

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/beef-tamales-recipe.html?oc=linkback

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Meal planning will help you to use your money better. Think about using leftovers for other meals as you plan.
    Use what you buy. Look at what you already have while you plan meals. You don't get to be as spontaeous and picky when you are poor.
    Check store ads for sales.
    Buy store or generic brands.
    Don't buy things that are already shredded, boned, skinned or cut up.
    Buy fresh produce in season. Frozen vegetables and fruits can reduce waste.
    Soup is a good dollar stretcher. Make a big pot once a week. It reheats well and freezes well.
    Eat more meatless meals. Dry beans and lentils are cheap.
    Cut up meat and put it in soups, casseroles, stir fries, etc to make it go farther.
    Drink mostly water.
    Eggs, whole chickens or chicken thighs, potatoes, onions, carrots, oatmeal, rice, pasta, flour, powdered milk, peanut butter, bread, apples, tuna, canned fruits and vegetables are good staple foods.

If you search the internet for "$200 a month grocery budget" there are a lot of blogs and sites with ideas for frugal meal planning and shopping.

My family has enjoyed recipes from this blog-> http://www.budgetbytes.com
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Another vote for buying whole chickens and having roast chicken the first night, then deboning the chicken and making a stock with the carcass, and making chicken soup on day two. Also check out the prices for small frozen turkeys. This will feed you for a week, easy. There are probably threads here on what to do with turkey leftovers.

I spend a few minutes each week looking at the supermarket flyers, seeing what meat is on sale where, and planning my shopping accordingly.

There's a farmer's outlet near me that has consistently low prices on fruits and vegetables. I buy some out of season fruit and veg frozen.