The 2-mile Struggle of a 5k run

Options
Hello! I run 5k distances during lunch time at work. Anyone else feel that 2miler struggle? For me 2-3 miles is usually the absolute worst and I wonder what I could do to overcome this giant hurdle.

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that you start to struggle after two miles? If so, you probably just need to run the first two miles a bit slower.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If you're referring to that point before you get into your groove, if anyone has discovered how to not make the first 1 1/2 miles grueling, I'd be open to hearing about it. Then, I get into my groove, and feel like I can run all day :)
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Agree with litsy. Also add in some interval training. If you run in an area with street lights, run from one to the next then walk to the third and repeate. The run should be much faster than your 5k pace but not quite a sprint. If no street lights, just alternate 30 seconds of running with 30 seconds of light walking/jogging. Do this a couple times a week over a shorter distance.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my 10k this morning. kilometres 1-3 were super tough, then everything got good at 4 and stayed good for the rest of the run. It's a mental battle I think. Just gotta keep on trucking until it starts feeling good!
  • oh_so_jo_008
    oh_so_jo_008 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the midst of training for a 5K. I used to run all the time but fell out of shape and want to start again, just to prove to myself that I can do it. Mile 2-3 is also my hardest mile, without a doubt. We got this!
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I run a lot. For me it's the first 8 or so minutes. After that I'm feeling good. It's part of the reason that I rarely run those short distances.
  • tasch79
    tasch79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I tend to find the first 5 minutes the hardest. I think it takes me awhile to get the breathing going properly. I was hoping this was something that would get better as my running improved but perhaps it's just the way it is. Got to just push past it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    5k is 3.1 miles so mile 2-3 is the last mile. Wouldnt it be normal that the last mile might feel the hardest ?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i whine in my head for the first mile or two of whatever length of run i'm doing.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    5k is 3.1 miles so mile 2-3 is the last mile. Wouldnt it be normal that the last mile might feel the hardest ?

This is what I was thinking as well. Or, conversely, the last mile of such a short run might feel the easiest, knowing you'll be done soon! That's generally my thought process, anyway.